1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 6, 2020 12:49 PM by Rachael Salyer

Seeking telegrams between LTC Kappler & Gen Kaltenbrunner

George Treves Newbie

I'm trying to find the original telegrams exchanged between German Lieutenant Colonel Kappler and General Kaltenbrunner in late 1943. The telegrams are about the expulsion of the Italian Jewish Community and also about disarming the Carabinieri and the rest of the Italian army. We have a copy of telegram with the following provenance:

7458. GROUP XIII/52

BERLIN TO ROME

RSS 256/11/10/43.

QGL on 6556 Kcs at 2015 GMT  11/10/43

1955/156

I am particularly interested in obtaining a copy of the telegram which poses a question to which this is a reply.  Where should I begin my search?

• Re: Seeking telegrams between LTC Kappler & Gen Kaltenbrunner
          Rachael Salyer Scout

Dear Mr. Treves,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We located a copy of the document you are interested in on page 5 of Disclosure: Newsletter of the Nazi War Criminal Records Interagency Working Group, and according to the newsletter, this document was found among newly declassified records of the Office of Strategic Services. We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Selected Documents of the Office of Strategic Services Released Under the Nazi War Crimes Disclosure Act in the Records of the Central Intelligence Agency (Record Group 263). According to the box list, box 4 contains three Group XIII/52 reports from Italy. These records have been digitized and may be viewed here using the Catalog. You also may use the “Search Within This Series” feature in the Catalog to locate multiple references to Kappler and Kaltenbrunner. The documents that make up this series were copied from a number of other series from the Records of the Office of Strategic Services (Record Group 226) that may be of interest to you. A full list of related series is available in the Catalog description. Please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov with any questions you might have about these records.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!