1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 27, 2020 12:06 PM by Cara Jensen

Seeking help with Dawes Rolls

Sarah Collins Newbie

My husband was told he is related to the famous Quannah Parker, and I have been told my great grandfather was full blooded Cheyenne. These are stories passed down through my family, but no actual documentation.  I have been pouring over the NARA Dawes Rolls for over a month now, and have made very little progress. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

• Re: Seeking help with Dawes Rolls
          Cara Jensen Scout

Dear Ms. Collins,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you search the National Archives Catalog with the name of the ancestor in question, as much of the information contained in the Dawes records is name searchable.  We also suggest that you review the NARA web page for Dawes Rolls as an overview of how to research that resource.

When embarking on Native American genealogy, please note that the records in the custody of NARA often only detail those living on the reservations or being administered by the Bureau of Indian Affairs. If an ancestor was Native American and left the reservation or did not have interaction with the United States Government as such, they will not be recorded in NARA’s records and tracing their genealogy may be difficult.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

[Information provided by Cody White, Subject Matter Expert]