1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 19, 2020 3:01 PM by National Archives Catalog

Is there a way to track the number of hours we work transcribing and have it approved by a representative of the organization?

Shipra Kushwaha Newbie

Is there a way to track the number of hours we work transcribing and have it approved by a representative of the organization?

• Re: Is there a way to track the number of hours we work transcribing and have it approved by a representative of the organization?
          National Archives Catalog Adventurer

We can not track the number of hours users participate and we can not create a report to document volunteer hours. We cannot sign off on your hours or act as a supervisor for a volunteer project. However, registered users can view a list of records they tagged or transcribed in the My Accounts page.

This is our policy because every record in the Catalog varies in length and complexity and our system doesn't keep track of the time you are on the site.  There isn’t a formula to calculate pages transcribed to a number of hours.  This is because we have index cards that could take 1 minute to transcribe and 18th Century handwritten records could take an hour or more to transcribe.  If you would like to negotiate your work with your school, I suggest you share the following:

1.  Explain that we can't certify your work in any way - see our FAQ page

2.  Your work is tracked in your account.  You could provide a screenshot of this.

3.  You should keep a running list of the url of every page that you transcribe. Copy and paste the url of each page as you transcribe on the transcription contribution page.

3.  You could keep track of your own hours and include the urls of each record you worked on during this time.

I hope this will be useful to negotiate the citizen archivist work you have done to count for volunteer service hours.

Sincerely,

Suzanne Isaacs

Community Manager, National Archives Catalog