1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 20, 2020 12:39 PM by Cara Jensen

Seeking names of African-Americans serving in Army Reserves

T Overton Newbie

Hello, I am trying to locate the names of African-Americans serving in the Army Reserves from 1951-1962; specifically, Reservists in the Philadelphia, PA region. Though the Reservist for whom I am seeking information was initially stationed at the HQ, 770th  AAA Gun Battalion in Philadelphia, he was involuntarily relocated from the Headquarters to perform more menial duties, so I am expanding my search beyond Pennsylvania. Thank you!

• Re: Seeking names of African-Americans serving in Army Reserves
          Cara Jensen Scout

Dear T Overton,

Thank you for posting your request to History Hub!

The National Archives at St. Louis has custody of the Morning Reports and Rosters (1947-1975) but Reserve unit rosters are not included.

Morning reports for Army Reserve units that were called for Active Duty or Active Duty for Training (ADT) prior to 1960 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For more information about these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov. RL-SL may have some inactive Army Reserve unit Morning Reports from the early 1950s, but the Army discontinued daily reports of inactive Reserve units in April 1953.

Morning reports for Army Reserve units called for Active Duty dated after 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis.  Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. 

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. Also, the NPRC is currently only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities. If this is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. We apologize for any inconvenience.

The records you seek also may be in the custody of the U.S. Army Reserves History Office. For information and guidance on access to the Army Reserve Historical Research Collection, you may contact the Office of Army Reserve Archivist, 1401 Deshler Street SW, Fort McPherson, GA 30330. The telephone number is (404) 464-8461 and her email address is deborah.fosterking@usar.army.mil.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!