3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2020 5:10 PM by Thomas Richardson

Seeking military records of SGT Howard Jacques

Michelle Jacques Newbie

I am trying to piece together my father's WWII history. He is recently deceased at age 97. My father, SGT Howard E Jacques, served during the 1942-1946 timeframe. Company K, 335 Infantry Regiment, 84th Infantry Division. He may have been separated from his company at some point as he ended up at Nuremberg trials as guard/ courier of prisoner. He went to radio school in London and has a SHAEF badge as well as Purple Heart (reported to be twice wounded), Good Conduct Medal, Combat Infantry Badge, Rhineland Campaign, possible Bronze Star, and EUR-AFR-MID EAST. On inquiry by me, the VA noted in person that he was "highly decorated" but no clear answers. I'm not sure if records were lost in truck ambush or loss of records in St. Louis fire? I am trying to uncover this mystery. Thank you

• Re: Seeking military records of SGT Howard Jacques
          Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Michelle,

Here is some information about the unit during the ETO during WW2. Beautiful write up on him. Im from wisconsin and I have a book from ww2 on them I just have to dig it out.

https://mcoepublic.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/library/DonovanPapers/wwii/STUP2/A-F/Dudley%20Eldridge%20C%20CPT.pdf

https://www.blaneyfuneralhome.com/obituary/howard-jacques

Hope this helps,

Elliot Schneider

Michelle Jacques Newbie

Thank you Mr. Schneider. Thank you for posting his obituary - it was written by me. In reality it was written by the way he lived his life. Full of passion for all things in life. I attribute that to what haunted him and what he was faced with during the war. The write up you provided gives us a glimpse of his possible time there.

If you find the book or the name of the book please pass it on. I am also looking for confirmation of his battles and activities in service.  It may be a huge challenge as it is reported that he had an alias name as guard during the trials.

thank you!

Thomas Richardson Tracker

Dear Ms. Jacques,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

We searched National Archives Catalog and located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1985 (Record Group 407) that include records of the 335th Infantry Regiment, 84th Infantry Division. We also located the 8th, 84th, and 102nd Infantry Division Records, 1945 - 1945 in the Records of Headquarters, European Theater of Operations, United States Army (World War II) (Record Group 498) that may contain different records from those in RG 407. The series Index to Personnel Employed at Nuremberg , 1945 - 1946 under Records of the Office of the Judge Advocate General (Army) (Record Group 153) that consists of an index of staff employed at Nuremberg which includes information such as name, rank, dates of departure and arrival, and addresses. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, the NPRC is currently only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities. If this is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!