2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2020 10:09 AM by Donald Shook

Seeking 17th Infantry Regiment Command Reports from Korean War

Donald Shook Newbie

I am looking for Command and Morning Reports, etc. from the 17th Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division during the Korean War. I am with the 17th Infantry Regiment Association and below is a list of the reports that I currently have.  I would be very interested in anything that is not listed here: Command Reports for October & November 1950; October, November & December 1951; February 1952; and April 1953; and Morning Report for April 1951.

• Re: Seeking 17th Infantry Regiment Command Reports from Korean War
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Shook,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Command Reports, 1949 - 1954 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917 - 1985 (Record Group 407) that includes 84 files relating to the 17th Infantry Regiment during the 1950s. We also located Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) (Record Group 338) that includes 210 files from the 17th Infantry Regiment during the Korean War. Additionally, we located Organizational History Files, 1959 - 1973 (documenting 1931 - 1973) in the Records of the U.S. Army, Pacific (Record Group 550) that  includes Unit Histories: 17th Infantry Regiment. You also may be interested in Command Reports Related to Operations, 1/1950 - 6/1950 that  includes information about the 17th Infantry Regiment immediately prior to the Korea War (see Box 1624). These records are not available online. For more information, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at Archives2reference@nara.gov.

Morning reports for Army units from November 1, 1912 to 1959 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). RL-SL also has copies of most of the monthly rosters from 1947 - 1959 for Army units. For information about these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 and RL-SL. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful