4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2020 9:39 AM by john Dircks

Seeking original locations of field graves (GPS translation Grid Position)

john Dircks Newbie

Hello, I am looking for an old situation map of the Netherlands used by the British and American forces. I want to locate the exact place of GL Price and HH Phillips where they were fighting and where their field graves were. These British soldiers died in October 1944 near the neighbourhood between Deurne and Venray. They were later buried at the British war cemetery in Venray, Netherlands. Grave concentration form  WW 2 of George Lawrence Price and HH Phillipsfigure

• Re: Seeking original locations of field graves (GPS translation Grid Position)
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Dircks,

Thank you for your posting your request on History Hub!

US Army maps from World War II are in the custody of the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Cartographic (RDSC). Please email RDSC at carto@nara.gov for more information about their holdings.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSC. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Given that you are researching British soldiers, we suggest that you also contact the Commonwealth War Graves Archive and the National Archives of the United Kingdom.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

• Re: Seeking original locations of field graves (GPS translation Grid Position)
            Lisa Sharik Adventurer

Mr. Dircks:

Using the Coordinates Translator program I plugged in the 6 digit number given for Price and Phillips ( 723230) The Translator program translates that number to a modern map. Two images are attached showing the location on a modern map in the village of Ysslesteyn. If you have any questions please let me know.

Lisa Sharik

Deputy Director

Texas Military Forces MuseumClose up view of spot 723230close up view of 723230 location

1 person found this helpful
                john Dircks Newbie

Hello Lisa,

According to what i found out using old british map cards I came to nearly the same result as you did eventhough an other source  mentioned that they died in the neighbourhoud of the city of Deurne and beause there is mentioned that they had their field grave in Ysselsteyn (which you found) it indicates the place of the fieldgrave near the church grave yard there. where you can find a sign  with their names  (see picture)  Which says in remembrance of the allied soldiers wo died in WW 2 in Ysselsteyn for our freedom.

For me to be in the position to have the position to determine myself  according to road maps  Uk en British soldiers used in that aria,  i am seeking aswell those headmap,   and perhaps sheet maps of the quadrant where they fought.

Eventhough many many thx  Cheers John

john Dircks Newbie

That*s the place where they had their 1st grave on the grave yard near the church in Ysselsteyn and are mentionned on a sign but is not the place where they where killed

In remembrance of the allied soldiers who died for our freedom  in the second world war 1940- 1945 in Ysselsteyn .  But i am looking for road maps used by the soldiers to determine their place where they where in that aria  (quadrant) There must be a headmap holland  and a little one (sheet 4)

Many thx Lisa. kind regards John.