1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 13, 2020 11:31 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking Red Cross records about my mother

Ann Scherner Newbie

I am looking for information on my mom who served in Red Cross during WWII - Ann Power from Helena, Montana (birthdate is 1/14/1917). Any information on where exactly she served (Australia, Philippines, New Guinea is the only information our family has thus far).

• Re: Seeking Red Cross records about my mother
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Ms. Scherner,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

American Red Cross personnel records are in the custody of the American Red Cross Historical Programs and Collections. To inquire about their holdings, please email them at Redcrosshistory@redcross.org. When you contact them, please provide the full name of the person you are researching and any details you have about her service. Please note that personnel records are in off-site storage, and that the Red Cross’s response may be delayed by the COVID-19 public health crises.

Because what was then designated the American National Red Cross (ANRC) is not a federal agency, its records normally would not be in the custody of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). However, NARA has accepted donations of some of the records from the ANRC that are incorporated into the Records of the American National Red Cross (Collection ANRC).

Though the ANRC records in NARA custody do not include personnel files, there are  record series that may provide some documentation of a specific category of service by Red Cross personnel who served during World War II. We searched the National Archives Catalog and located three series titled Historical Nurse Files, ca. 1916 - ca. 1959; Rosters of World War II Overseas Personnel; and Canteen Corps Roll Books, 1933 - 1945 in the ANRC Collection. The first two series have file unit listings. For further information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at Archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

There also are some Red Cross-related records in the custody of the Library of Congress. For example, we located American Red Cross activities during World War II; from the archives of the American Red Cross that includes photographs.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful