6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2020 11:56 AM by Cheryl Renee Carmichael

    Seeking Military service records of Dalton Foy Poteet

    Cheryl Renee Carmichael Newbie

      I an looking for military service records for my uncle, Dalton Foy Poteet of Texas. How can my family get his records?  My 85 yr old mother would really like to know what her brother did.

        • Re: Seeking Military service records of Dalton Foy Poteet
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

          Hello Ms. Carmichael,


          Here is some information I found and a wonderful write on what unit he was with and what occupation he was. Please copy and paste into your web browser. Did he have other siblings besides Olen Poteet? I would assume your mother correct? Also found a birth certificate for a Dalton Foy Pateet. I'm guessing that this was a mistake on his birth certificate?




          Name:Dalton F Poteet
          Marital status:Single, without dependents (Single)
          Birth Year:1927
          Nativity State or Country:Texas
          Residence:Delta, Texas
          Education:1 year of college
          Civil Occupation:Skilled occupations in manufacture of electrical machinery and accessories, n.e.c.
          Enlistment Date:27 Nov 1945
          Enlistment Place:Dallas, Texas
          Service Number:18099732
          Branch:Air Corps
          Component:Regular Army (including Officers, Nurses, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)
          Source:Enlisted Man, Regular Army, after 3 months of Discharge





          Hope this helps,


          Elliot Schneider

          2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking Military service records of Dalton Foy Poteet
            Jason Atkinson Ranger

            Dear Ms. Carmichael,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form which you do not know, such as his social security number or his date of separation, you may leave it blank. Under “CHECK THE ITEM(S) YOU ARE REQUESTING” check “Other” and write that you want his entire fire. Under “Purpose” check “Genealogy.” For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020. As of June 24, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process. The center is currently only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities. If this is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. If this is not an emergency, you may still mail the request now but please note that it will take quite some time until NPRC can respond. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


            2 people found this helpful