1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 8, 2020 2:02 PM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking my medical records from 1975


      I would like help on obtaining my 1975 (all) medical records as a surviving spouse (widow) of an active duty deceased Army soldier?

        • Re: Seeking my medical records from 1975
          Jason Atkinson Guide

          Dear Ms. Jasper,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          NARA’s National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) stores Dependent Medical Folders (DMFs) for dependents treated at Army, Air Force or Coast Guard facilities from 1954 to the present. Records prior to 1954 were destroyed in accordance with legal authorities in effect at the time. The military medical facilities transfer the DMFs to NPRC, generally 1-5 years after the last treatment.


          If possible, contact the last medical treatment facility to determine if records have been retired to the NPRC before sending a request. If they did, then send your request to the National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. 


          For more information, see Medical Treatment Records - for Military Retirees and Dependents (created at military medical facilities).


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020. As of June 24, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process. The center is currently only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities. If this is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful.