3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2020 11:32 AM by Shannon Kerner

    Seeking photographs & military records of Samuel Watson

    Melonie Landers Newbie

      I am looking for any information or photos of my great-grandfather, Samuel Watson, who served in World War I from South Carolina. His wife was Lydia Watson, my great-grandmother.

        • Re: Seeking photographs & military records of Samuel Watson
          Alice Lane Navigator

          Hi Melonie,

          Welcome to History Hub


          Want to make sure that I have the right person.


          Is this your great-grandfather?



          Alice Lane

          Research Volunteer

          • Re: Seeking photographs & military records of Samuel Watson
            Elliot Schneider Ranger



            Here is a Picture I found of a Samuel C. Watson below please see him first picture second row. If you have any additional information to help us identify him that would be great. I see a few Samuel Watsons from South Carolina. It states he's from Greenwood, SC




            Hope this helps,


            Elliot Schneider

            • Re: Seeking photographs & military records of Samuel Watson
              Shannon Kerner Adventurer

              Dear Ms. Landers,


              Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


              The "official" photograph of an individual is not considered to be permanent federal records by the respective military services and is not retained in a separate collection by the service. If the photograph you are seeking still exists, it will most likely be found in the individual's Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). However, there is no guarantee the photograph will be present.


              We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


              Photographs of various U.S. Army, Navy, and Marine Corps activities and subjects during WWI are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Picture (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov and their web site is https://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/college-park/photographs-dc.html.


              Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSS. Also, the NPRC is currently only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities. If this is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. We apologize for any inconvenience.


              We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!