1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 7, 2020 10:06 AM by Legislative Archives

Seeking Congressional hearing about Environmental Dangers of Open Air testing

Sheri Taylor Newbie

I am trying to locate the May 21-22 - 1969 Congressional hearing - Environmental Dangers of Open Air Testing, either video footage or audio.

• Re: Seeking Congressional hearing about Environmental Dangers of Open Air testing
          Legislative Archives Adventurer

Hi Sheri -- thanks for posting to History Hub!

I'm with the Center for Legislative Archives, a unit of the National Archives. We hold the official records of congressional committees. I searched our records of the House Committee of Government Operations, Subcommittee on Conservation and Natural Resources, but don't see any indication that we have audiovisual material from this subcommittee in the 91st Congress.

This is hardly unusual -- the responsibility for filming hearings generally falls to C-Span and the news media. Copies of that footage rarely, if ever, end up in the official records of congressional committees.

The published transcript of this hearing is available online through Hathi Trust and Google Books.

You can find more background on the subject, as well as recommendations for other places to search for congressional hearing audio and visual material, in a blog post we wrote: Videos of Congressional Hearings.

Cheers!

Sarah

1 person found this helpful