2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2020 2:55 PM by Pamela Forest

Seeking meaning to Military Records codes/abbreviations

Pamela Forest Newbie

I received my Great-Grandfather’s Compiled Military Record from NARA, but I do not have any experience reading military records. I am wondering if anyone understands theses abbreviations/codes to help me decipher the circumstances around his desertion. I appreciate any advice or direction to resources. THANK YOU!

Record reads for follows:

deserted Sept 12, 1904, a corporal

a.f.o. Relative to apprehension and release

under a.r. 125 vide a.f. 2205866-a

A.f.o. Reenlistment authorized June 4, 1917 vide a.f. 2606284.

• Re: Seeking meaning to Military Records codes/abbreviations
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Ms. Forest,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Some codes commonly used on Compiled Military Service Records (CMSRs) are listed on the post CITIZEN-ARCHIVIST'S GUIDE : CMSR CODES, although we did not see all of the ones you quoted listed on that guide. Please email the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov and attach a scan of the CMSR and they will try to figure out what the other abbreviations might mean.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful