2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2020 4:56 PM by Julie Turpin

Seeking location of Stations on SL Aqueduct

Julie Turpin Newbie

My home is located next to tract 413 of the Salt Lake Aqueduct "Provo River Project". In 1942, The Bureau of Reclamation, surveyed for the centerline and finalized the purchase in 1945 with Arthur & Hedy Gabler.  The problem here is proving where the centerline is located to get the setbacks for the boundary.  The deed states; the described centerline is from station 1666+21 to 1670+08.   Station 1666+21 and 1670+08 are both underground or design stations.  Between 1666 and 1670 there is an above-ground built meter station 1669+05. The 1942 recorded document (24418855.CIT) (Recorded SL County S2011-10-0371_ref.SL County Surveyor)from the BOR showing the centerline going straight through the stations. Are the described stations that are built above ground along the aqueduct benchmarks, monuments for the centerline of the aqueduct? If station 1669+05 is part of the centerline.  If I can somehow find the blueprints or design specifications or station 1669. Anything showing the centerline are the original stations.  Stations being Monument or Benchmarks for the centerline. 1932 to 2006 BOR controlled the SLA.  In 2006, MWD had the title to the SLA transferred to them. Described on the Warranty Deed, Station 1669+05 was originally built in 1945.  This original station was later replaced by in the 1980s with the newly built station.  The new station 1669 is to the east of the original station. MWD has now drawn a new centerline through the 1980s station claiming this is the centerline not based on the station but MWD's interpretation of the metes and bounds.

• Re: Seeking location of Stations on SL Aqueduct
          Cara Jensen Scout

Dear Ms. Turpin,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 36 file units & 1 series using the search term “Provo River Project” that may contain blueprints or design specifications. For access to the file units and series, please contact the National Archives locations via email as referenced in each description.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from various NARA units. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We also suggest that you contact the Bureau of Reclamation directly to inquire as to how they survey and measure their centerlines and/or for any historical blueprints of the project.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

• Re: Seeking location of Stations on SL Aqueduct
              Julie Turpin Newbie

Dear Cara,

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to me.  I have talked to the Bureau of Reclamation here.  They have limited records on the Provo River Project and only 30 plats of 1000.  I have researched the NAR it was difficult to understand so, I actually flew to Broomfield Colo. to try to find this information last year. I somehow must have missed something.  The BOR said they use the metes and bounds.  A Chief BOR Survey Supervisor, now retired did a survey, not a field survey but by coordinates, and the BOR did a GIS. Showing my property does not overlap onto tract 413.

MWD has emailed me, I need the blueprints, instructions or something showing the stations on the deed were placed on the centerline or MWD will Quiet Title my land.  Since 2006, the Metropolitan Water District of Salt and Sandy now own the SLA and tract 413. I have not found this information. I search every day.  MWD has sent letters stating will take my only access to my home, tear down my 8 stall barn they claim is now encroaching. I board horses for a  living.  My home is all I have.  

The deed states; the described centerline is from station 1666+21 to 1670+08.   Station 1666+21 and 1670+08 are both underground or design stations.  Between 1666 and 1670 there is an above-ground built meter station 1669+05.

1942 recorded document (24418855.CIT) (Recorded SL County S2011-10-0371_ref.SL County Surveyor) from the BOR showing the centerline going straight through the stations.

Warranty Deed File # 1013460 10/6/1945. BOR,  Ut. Salt County Recorders Book 440 page 685

MWD is claiming in writing, the metes and bounds on the BOR deed from the Interior Secretary can be interpreted in different ways for tract 413 to get the centerline for setbacks. The centerline creates the boundaries from 50’ to the east and 75’ to the west of the centerline.

I  must definitively prove the 1942 described station 1669+05 was placed on the centerline.  MWDs claims metes and bounds were used in MWD's survey.  MWD has drawn a new centerline through the 1980's newer replacement station that is not described on the Warranty Deed.   The newer 1980's replacement station 1669 is east of the original 1942 station 1669.   MWD  will accept only proof from records that these stations were placed on the centerline.

I understand the Army Corp of Engineers surveyed.  I have done my best to research there. E.O. Larsen was the contractor engineer for construction 1722-D.

I  am not sure how else to get this information or have station 1669+05 verified that it was placed on the centerline in 1945.  I appreciate any thoughts or if anyone could please help me.  Sincerely, Julie