2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2020 4:51 PM by Donna Travis

Seeking my Grandfather's Army Service Records

Donna Travis Wayfarer

I want to request my Grandfather's Army service records from World War II but I can not find his Social Security Number anywhere online. I do have his Service Number.  Is that enough to request his records or do I need to continue to search for his Social Security Number? Thank you for any help!

• Re: Seeking my Grandfather's Army Service Records
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Ms. Travis,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

If you provide his name and service number, that should be enough to locate his OMPF if it survived the 1973 fire. Any additional information you can provide that is requested on the SF-180 would be helpful, but is not absolutely necessary. Also, if you have any information about which units he served in, that may be helpful in case his service file was lost in the fire and NPRC staff have to consult other records such as morning reports and rosters to generate a certificate of service. Additional information such as unit assignments that are not requested on the SF-180 may be attached as a letter or memo. Do not enclose any original family documents or photographs as NPRC staff will not be able to return them to you.

See the response to your previous request for requesting his service records

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful
            • Re: Seeking my Grandfather's Army Service Records
              Donna Travis Wayfarer

Jason,

Thank you so very much! I was very reluctant to move forward until I knew if it would be likely without his social security # and I am so grateful for your response and suggestions. I would never have thought to include his unit assignments as a seperate letter/memo.

I am hopeful now that I might be able to find something out and I would not have sent it in without your help.

Thank you!

Donna