1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 8, 2020 2:10 PM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking "manuscript" noted on service record of J C Pelot


      How do you find and view manuscripts reference on Civil War Service Records.  For example on the Service Record of J.C. Pelot (Confederate) Asst. Surgeon, a REFERENCE CARD notation states:  "See Manuscript No. 7005".  Where can this be found?  I use Fold3.  Thanks!

        • Re: Seeking "manuscript" noted on service record of J C Pelot
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. McCallister,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Confederate Manuscripts in the War Department Collection of Confederate Records (Record Group 109), which should contain the document referenced in the Compiled Military Service Record for Assistant Surgeon J.C. Pelot. These records have not been digitized and are not available online. If you have not already done so, please email the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at Archives1reference@nara.gov for information about these records.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!