4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2020 9:37 AM by Rebecca Collier

    Seeking any information about Dean Walton Cook

    Pamela Shank Newbie

      I have his social, service number, dates of service and his rank but I was told he got married and had a baby. I am trying to find a marriage license for Dean Walton Cook in California State. He was in the Navy at Camp Pendleton and killed in a car accident June 8 1963. He was buried in California at the Golden Gate National Cemetery. Is there any way I can find who took care of his funeral arrangements? I am trying to find someone he was connected to while serving in the military. He is a family member and I cannot find much on him, anything would help.

        • Re: Seeking marriage license for Dean Walton Cook
          Alice Lane Navigator

          Hi Pamela,

          Welcome to History Hub,


          I could not find marriage license

          His gravestone is on findagrave.com



          Was there any other information about him that you are seeking?



          Good Luck in your search,


          Alice Lane

          Research Volunteer

          • Re: Seeking any information about Dean Walton Cook
            Elliot Schneider Ranger



            I would try and reach out directly to the following


            Name:Dean W Cook
            Birth Date:19 Nov 1938
            Birth Place:Missouri
            Death Date:8 Jun 1963
            Death Place:Santa Clara





            1300 Sneath Lane
            San Bruno, CA 94066

            Phone: 650-589-7737
            FAX: 650-873-6578

            Hope this helps,

            Elliot Schneider

            • Re: Seeking any information about Dean Walton Cook
              Alice Lane Navigator

              Hi Pamela,

              Sorry this is clip is so huge...

              I found it on Newspapers.com...at time of accident they were unsure whether Helena was his

              wife. There are other articles about the accident on newspapers.com. You can get a trial subscription.

              Please ask if you need further assistance.

              Alice Lane

              Research Volunteer




              dean cook -

              • Re: Seeking any information about Dean Walton Cook
                Rebecca Collier Ranger

                Dear Ms. Shank,


                Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


                If you have not already done so, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men and officers of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1957 and prior to January 31, 1994 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


                Navy and Marine Corps casualty records from 1940-1989 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For access to these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.


                Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. Also, the NPRC is currently only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities. If this is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. We apologize for any inconvenience.


                We suggest that you contact the California Department of Public Health for vital records such as his death and marriage records, plus the birth records of his child. Since he was from Missouri, we suggest that you contact the Missouri Bureau of Vital Records for his birth records and possibly his marriage records.


                We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research! 


                1 person found this helpful