8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2020 10:47 PM by Ted Coyle

Seeking information about Charles Neilson

Ted Coyle Newbie

My grandmother and grand aunt (sisters) were born in the Bronx in 1921 and 22, but they never met their father. He is known by two names, Charles Matthews and Charles Neilson. Either may or may not be accurate. I believe my grand aunt was born Grace Matthews and my grandmother Dorothy Virginia Neilson. My aunt later changed her legal name to Edna Grace Neilson. That’s her name on SS Claims Index where Charles Neilson is cited as her father. Their mother was Philomena Russo, also born in the Bronx. Philomena and Charles never married. Charles left the picture while Philomena was in her second pregnancy and never heard from. Not much is known except that he had another family and was a little older.

Here's what I know: Philomena Russo was born on 7 Sep 1902 in the Bronx, NY and died on 7 Dec 1980 in Los Angeles, CA; Charles Neilson aka. Charles Matthews -- I don't know when or where he was born or died; Edna Grace Chooluck (Neilson) [possibly born as Grace Matthews] was born: on 1 Jan 1921 in the Bronx, NY and died on 23 Mar 2002 in Glendale, Los Angeles, CA; and Dorothy Virginia Hughes (Neilson) was born on 10 Apr 1922 in the Bronx, NY and died on 27 Jan 2010 in West Patterson, Passaic, NJ.

I have conducted lots of research, built a family tree, done DNA tests with my mother and aunt but have not made any discoveries. Where should I look for answer to this question: Who is my great grandfather? I’m stumped! Discovering his identity would mean a great deal to my family. Thank you for any suggestions.