3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2020 11:10 AM by Cara Jensen

Seeking birth record of William Fitzpatrick

Pamela Smith Steed Newbie

I am looking for my 3rd great grandfather's birth certificate. There was a delay in birth certificates in Virginia from 1711 to the late 1800s. I believe he may have been born in Nelson County, Virginia between 1820-1835. His name was William Walker Fitzpatrick and his mothers' name was Margaret Fitzpatrick. William was married to a woman by the name of "Winnie." Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

• Re: Seeking birth record of William Fitzpatrick
          Susannah Brooks Scout

You will not find a birth certificate for William Walker Fitzpatrick.  Delayed birth certificates were issued when people were required to have proof of birth for official purposes, such as applying for a social security number.  If William was free prior to emancipation you might want to look for either emancipation papers or his baptismal records.  If he was enslaved, any record of his birth would have been created & kept  by the slave holder.  There were 4 slave holders with the surname Fitzpatrick  in Nelson Co VA in 1860 holding a total of 42 slaves according to the 1860 Slave Schedule.

The Nelson County, VA familysearch wiki lists the records that are available to that county. https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Nelson_County,_Virginia_Genealogy

1 person found this helpful
              Pamela Smith Steed Newbie

Hello Ms. Brooks,

Thank you so much for your reply. When I was younger, our family would put out their brief version of the family history.

I have a copy of my 2nd Great Grandfather's birth certificate and it states he (John Fitzpatrick), was born December 4th, 1853, +/- a year.

His mother (Winnie) and father (William) were married when he was born in Nelson County, VA. Our family's story mentions that William Walker Fitzpatrick's ethnic background was unknown as his mothers' name was Peggy Fitzpatrick (Maggie or Margaret), an Irishwoman, a black man and he was free.

Williams' wife was a slave named "Winnie" and she was owned by a farmer in Nelson County by the name of Jim Woods.  I will take a look at the link you sent and see what comes up.

Respectfully,

Pamela

Cara Jensen Scout

Dear Ms. Steed,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

As the previous poster mentioned, Virginia birth records prior to 1853 need to be reconstructed from alternate sources.  If your William Walker Fitzpatrick was enslaved, that information may be found found in slavemasters' deeds, slave schedules, wills, tax lists, family bibles and diaries, plantation records, interviews with former slaves, and in court order books. 

The Virginia Museum of History & Culture has gathered accessible biographical details of enslaved Virginians from unpublished historical records in its collections and called it Unknown No Longer: A Database of Virginia Slave Names.  We also suggest that you contact them as well as to request a search on the Fitzpatricks of Nelson County.

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 608 series in the Records of the Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands (Record Group 105) that pertain to Virginia. The VA State Records are available as National Archives Microfilm Publication No.  M1048 and the VA Field Offices are available as Microfilm Publication No. M1913. These series may contain information about the William Walker Fitzpatrick family as well.  For access to these series, M1048, and M1913, please contact  the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

For more information about the Freedmen’s Bureau records, please review NARA’s web page on African American Records: Freedmen's Bureau.  We also suggest that you review the National Archives African American Research website and the FamilySearch Research wiki on African American Resources for Virginia

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!