4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2020 8:20 AM by Howard Gunter

    Seeking military records of Howard Gunter


      I am trying to get my Air Force records. I have had a claim into VA for over a year. Talking to them today it seems the only thing that they are missing are his military records. How can I get them?

        • Re: Seeking military records of Howard Gunter

          Dear Mr. Gunter,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Depending on when you served, we suggest that you request a copy of your Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who were separated from service from the U.S. Air Force after 1958 and prior to May 1, 1994 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to the location listed as holding your record on page three.  Be sure to indicate what information you need such as a separation document, medical record, or the entire record if possible.


          If your record is held at NPRC, instead you may FAX your GSA Standard Form 180 to 314-801-9195 OR request your record online using eVetRecs (see eVetRecs Help for instructions) OR you may use NPRC's new online submission tool beginning on October 10, 2020.  See https://www.archives.gov/personnel-records-center for more information.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020. As of June 24, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process. The center is currently only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities.  If you are requesting your record for one of the above purposes, please write “urgent” on the envelope.


          We hope this is helpful.



          Holly Rivet


          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking military records of Howard Gunter

            I have filled out the forms that need to go to VA as that is the last thing they need to see if I qualify for any compensation. Should I send it back to you return request