2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2020 7:34 AM by Jason Atkinson

    How do I get my military records?


      I have been trying to get my Military records for awhile and keep getting told to contact different places. How can one get records fast?

        • Re: How do I get my military records?
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          If you have ever received care at the VA they might have within your records. You can also try contacting your local county recorder office or state veterans office to see if you ever had your discharge papers recorded at the county level.


          Trying to obtain military records really depends on the branch of service and where you need to submit your request. Various branches utilize different address, plus also depending on the years you served.


          Additionally, right now NPRC in St. Louis is only processing Emergency records request. You will have to wait until they resume normal operations.





          Elliot Schneider

          • Re: How do I get my military records?
            Jason Atkinson Ranger

            Dear Mr. Goad,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            The location of your Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) depends on your branch of service and when you separated from the service. See the chart Locations of Service Records for details. Please note that in many cases Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire.  Sometimes proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. If, according to the linked chart, your OMPF should be at the National Personnel Records Center, please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020. As of June 24, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process. The center is currently only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities. If this is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            If your service was too recent for your OMPF to be at NPRC, please contact the organizations identified for your respective service in the Locations of Service Records chart. Additionally, see Alternative Sources for Modern Military Records.


            We hope this is helpful.