8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2020 5:31 PM by Susannah Brooks

Seeking military history of Godfrey Geissberger

Mark Thickpenny Wayfarer

I am seeking the military history of Godfrey Geissberger.  He was born on June 8, 1909 in Green County, WI.  He was active in the US Navy in 1928, possibly in San Francisco or other western ports.  I have no service number for this individual.  He registered for WWII on October 16, 1940 (D.S.S Form 1) in Verona, Dane County, WI.  Copy I have had 'Address' replaced with 'Mundelein', 'Lake County' and State of 'Illinois'.

• Re: Seeking military history of Godfrey Geissberger
          Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Mark,

Here is some information below. Looked at the 1940 census that is to large to upload here and on it says his birth place was Indiana.

https://www.kenoshanews.com/lifestyles/announcements/obituaries/godfrey-geissberger-jr/article_5dbeaf1e-1963-5bd4-9652-3…

I would suggest filling out the SF-180 with as much information as you can and also note in the section listed "Other" the different place he may have lived and including his birthplace according to 1940 census as Indiana.

Hope this helps,

Elliot Schneider

Mark Thickpenny Wayfarer

Dear Mr. Elliot,

I apologize for having presented a confusing request that warranted much more description than I previously provided.  Hopefully this update will allow you to once again investigate on my behalf.

The recent obit you found is for Godfrey Geissberger III, son of the Godfrey II that is the individual for whom I am seeking his military history.  Godfrey II was born 1909 and died in 1998.  I cannot explain why in the 1940 Census Godfrey II indicated 'Indiana' as his place of birth.  It is an unexplained error.  He was definitely born in New Glarus, Wisconsin to Godfrey I and spouse Mary Zentner.

I have a few pictures taken in San Francisco, CA in 1928 of Godfrey II in his Navy sailors uniform.  He is approximately 19 years old.  In my searching I have not found any military records.  I think they should exist as the terrible fire in 1973 at NARA destroyed the Army and USAF records with no mention of US Navy records being incinerated.

If you are unsuccessful in this second request, I will indeed utilize the Form 180 process you suggested and for which I am seeking any available records for three other servicemen all of whom have surnames after "Hubbard".

Thank you again for your cooperation and assistance.

Mark C. Thickpenny

Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Thickpenny,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

You are correct in saying that the Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF) for US Navy personnel were not affected by the 1973 fire at the National Personnel Records Center. The other advantage in searching for Navy OMPFs is that some of the earlier ones are individually listed in the National Archives Catalog, although they have not been digitized and are not available online. We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Official Military Personnel Files, 1885 - 1998 in the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24) that includes the file Geissberger Godfrey -- [Service Number] 003051711, [Date of Enlistment] 11/25/1927.

OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and prior to 1958 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  If there is any information requested by the form which you do not know, such as his social security number or his date of separation, you may leave it blank. Under “CHECK THE ITEM(S) YOU ARE REQUESTING” check “Other” and write that you want his entire fire. Under “Purpose” check “Genealogy.” For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020. As of June 24, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process. The center is currently only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities. You may still mail the request now, but be aware that it will take quite some time until NPRC can respond.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful
                Susannah Brooks Scout

I found two brief newspaper references to his service in the Navy, but could not find any online record of Navy service, so I think you will have to make a request to the personnel records center in St. Louis.

from the Wisconsin State Journal 29 Nov 1931

obit from Arizona Republic 12 Jan 1998

His name was butchered in both the 1910 & 1920 censuses and I could not find him in the 1930 census when he was in the Navy. 

Mark Thickpenny Wayfarer

Dear Ms. Brooks,

Thank you for your very informative response.  I will be investigating the Wisconsin State Journal following this note.  You also found GG in the 1920 Census.  I have had success with the 1910 Census, but the data base I am using shows Wisconsin's 1920 Census broken down by counties and then numerous towns within the counties.  I have been unable to locate him in 1920 Census.  Please provide your data source, or steps in locating him so I may replicate your success.  I assume he was with his Mother and step-Father, Jacob Duerst, as he was a mere 11 years old.

Much thanks,

Mark C. Thickpenny