Dear Ms. Glass,
Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!
Given that she served past 1883, there may be an Official Personnel File (OPF) for her. OPFs and medical information for individuals who worked for the Department of the Treasury prior to 1952 and as early as 1883 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis, P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138. To request the file, please include as much information as possible, such as the full name used during Federal employment, date of birth, name and location of employing Federal agency, beginning and ending dates of Federal Service. If you do not know all this, you may still submit your request, however the more details you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file. For more information, the web site is https://www.archives.gov/st-louis/opf.
We searched the National Archives Catalog and located multiple records series in the General Records of the Department of the Treasury (Record Group 56) that include records relating to Treasury employees for the 1860s through the 1890s:
- Biographies of Treasury Employees, 1835 - 1912
- Index of Employees, 1890 - 1902
- List of Employees by State and Congressional District, 1851 - 1910
- Registers of Absences of Employees, 1868 - 1910
- Registers of Employee Personnel Actions, 1881 - 1917
- Lists of Disbursements Made for Personnel Expenses, 1889 - 1912
- Applications and Recommendations for Positions in the Washington, DC, Offices, 1830 - 1910
- Office Files, 1875 - 1917
- Indexes and Letters Relating to Appointments, 1816 - 1893
- Correspondence Files, 1875 - 1912
- Appointment Registers, 1853 - 1905
- Letters Sent, 1878 - 1902
- Treasury Department Personnel Statements, 1893 - 1893
- Letters Sent Relating to Deductions of Salary, Leave, and Other Personnel Matters, 1869 - 1877
- Letters Sent Relating to Appointments, Removals, and other Personnel Matters, 1857 - 1878
- Records Relating to Personnel, 1855 - 1914
- Letters Sent to Heads of Treasury Bureaus Relating to Personnel Matters, 1866 - 1877
- Letters Sent Relating to Applications for Appointment, 1865 - 1878
We also located Letters Received from the Treasurer, 1818 - 1910 in Record Group 56 and Press Copies of Letters and Telegrams Sent, 10/1869 - 5/1927 in Records of the Treasurer of the United States (Record Group 50) that may include correspondence of Treasurer Francis E. Spinner. The latter series is partially indexed by Subject Index to Letters and Telegrams Sent, 1861 - 1908 in Record Group 50. Plus, we located the record series Official Register of Employees, 1864 - 1905 in Record Group 50.
For more information about the Record Group 50 and Record Group 56 record series, please email the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at Archives2reference@nara.gov.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience. And, NARA has closed the Civilian Personnel Records Center (CPR) in Valmeyer, IL, effective immediately and until further notice. The local jurisdiction where CPR is located (Monroe County, IL) reported public health metrics that exceeded NARA’s targets for safe operation of our facilities. CPR will remain closed until local public health conditions improve. During the closure, CPR will maintain minimal staffing levels to support emergency reference requests only.
Next, we searched online and located several references to her in publications available through Google Books.
- Congressional Serial Set, Issue 1289, 1867
- The United States Treasury Register Containing a List of Persons Employed in the Treasury Department, 1874
- The United States Treasury Register Containing a List of Persons Employed in the Treasury Department, 1877
- The Chautauquan, 1892: Women in the Treasury Department
- Thirty Years in Washington; Or, Life and Scenes in Our National Capital, 1901
- The Numismatist Volume 109, 1996
- This Grand Experiment: When Women Entered the Federal Workforce in Civil War–Era Washington, D.C, 2017
We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!