1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 30, 2020 10:47 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking records of Turkish civilians on base

    Michelle Holliday Newbie

      I am looking for records of Turkish Civilians who worked on the base in Hanau, Germany in late 1976. I know this person worked with my mother in the Mess Hall and was her supervisor. He went by the nickname Shorty.

        • Re: Seeking records of Turkish civilians on base
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. Holliday,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          If he was a civil service employee of the Department of the Army, there may be an official Official Personnel File (OPF) for him. OPFs and medical information for individuals who worked for the U.S. government in a civilian capacity since 1952 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center. Written requests may be mailed or faxed to National Personnel Records Center Annex, 1411 Boulder Boulevard, Valmeyer, IL 62295. The fax number is 618-935-3014. Please include his full name used during Federal employment, date of birth, Social Security Number (if applicable), name and location of employing Federal agency, and beginning and ending dates of Federal service. Certain information in the OPF may not be available to the general public without the written consent of the individual. For more information, please check their website at https://www.archives.gov/st-louis/civilian-personnel.


          Please note that NARA has closed the Civilian Personnel Records Center (CPR) in Valmeyer, IL, effective immediately and until further notice. The local jurisdiction where CPR is located (Monroe County, IL) reported public health metrics that exceeded NARA’s targets for safe operation of our facilities. CPR will remain closed until local public health conditions improve. During the closure, CPR will maintain minimal staffing levels to support emergency reference requests only.


          Usually, foreign nationals working at mess halls on US Army installations in Germany were employees of private companies under contact to run the mess halls, rather than employees of the US government. The National Archives does not have personnel records or rosters for contractors. We also do not have records concerning contracts for such services as they are temporary records. Personnel records may still be in the custody of the contractor, if the company still exists and if it chose to retain them.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!