3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2020 11:01 AM by Cara Jensen

Seeking enrollment records for Aaron Kinney

Evelyn Harris Newbie

I am trying to find out the parents of Aaron Kinney who was a member of the US Colored Troops 135th Regiment. He enlisted at Goldsboro, NC in March 1865. He was from Marlboro County, South Carolina. He enlisted along with Alfred Kinney and Spencer Kinney. I would like to know if they were brothers or not.

• Re: Seeking enrollment records for Aaron Kinney
          Susannah Brooks Scout

The service records for Aaron, Alfred, & Spencer are on Fold3.com.  They do not give the names of the parents of soldiers.

I did find proof that these three men were all from the same plantation in Marlboro Co, SC.  It does not necessarily mean that they are biologically related, although that is definitely possible.  In 1851 William Kinney, plantation & slave owner, died without a will and his widow, Ferebe Kinney was appointed executor of his estate.  In June 1851 an appraisement was made of the property of William Kinney, including his slaves.

The estate records can be found on familysearch.org microfilm #1027480 & the records for William Kinney's estate begin on image 706. 

In the 1850 slave schedule William is listed as owning 16 slaves ranging in age from 1 - 60 yrs old.

In the 1860 slave schedule Ferebe is listed as owning 20 slaves ranging in age from 1-35 yrs old.  The estate records indicated that she had sold one slave named Jack during the settlement.

2 people found this helpful
              Evelyn Harris Newbie

Thank you so much Susannah. Yes, I have all of that information you mentioned and other information. I am reaching out to the slave owner descendants to see if they can answer my questions. I was even able to locate an inventory sheet from the 1850 listings all the slaves at that time, but again, I have no idea about parents and siblings. Thank you again for the information.William Kinney Estate Slave Inventory

1 person found this helpful
              Cara Jensen Scout

Dear Ms. Harris,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Carded Records Showing Military Service of Soldiers Who Fought in Volunteer Organizations During the American Civil War in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1762 - 1917 (Record Group 94) that includes the digitized Military Service Records of Aaron Kinney, Alfred Kinney, and Spencer Kinney. The digitized images are available online using the Catalog.

We also located the Regimental and Company Books of Civil War Volunteer Union Organizations, 1861 - 1867 in Record Group 94 that includes Regimental and Company Books of the 135th U.S. Colored Troops Infantry Regiment. For access to the records of the 135th, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.

In addition, we located the General Index to Civil War and Later Pension Files in the Records of the Department of Veterans Affairs (Record Group 15) is available as National Archives Microfilm Publication No. T288: General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934 and may contain information about the dependents of Aaron, Alfred, and Spencer Kinney.  For access to T288, please contact RDT1. T288 is available at other locations as well.

Plus, T288 is available on Ancestry.com.  There may be a fee for using Ancestry. Instead, check for access at your local library as many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for their patrons.

Lastly, we located 472 series in the Records of the Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands (Record Group 105) that pertain to South Carolina. The SC State Records are available as National Archives Microfilm Publication No.  M869 and the SC Field Offices are available as Microfilm Publication No. M1910. These series may contain records of the Kinney family as well.  For access to these series, M869, and M1910, please contact RDT1.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

For more information about the Freedmen’s Bureau records, please review NARA’s web pages at African American Records: Freedmen's Bureau

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 people found this helpful