2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2020 11:31 AM by Cara Jensen Branched from an earlier discussion.

    Seeking naturalization records of mother


      Hello, I'm applying for dual citizenship in Latvia and I need to show my mother changed her name in her petition for naturalization. She submitted the petition at the US District Court in Alexandria.

        • Re: Seeking naturalization records of mother
          Susannah Brooks Pioneer

          Naturalization petitions for the US District Court in Alexandria VA through Oct 1944 are available on Ancestry.com. They are entitled Virginia, Federal Naturalization Records 1901 -1938 and these are searchable using the ancestry index.  For naturalizations 1939-Oct 1944, use the browse this collection box at the right.  Find Alexandria and then scroll down to find the year you need (they are not in chronological order).  You will then just have to look through the records.

          • Re: Seeking naturalization records of mother
            Cara Jensen Tracker

            Dear Mr. Far,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            For access to the records of Federal courts in Virginia, please contact the National Archives at Philadelphia (RE-PA) via email at philadelphia.archives@nara.gov and request a search for her naturalization records by including the name of petitioner (including known variants); date of birth; approximate date of entry to the US; approximate date of naturalization; where the individual was residing at the time of naturalization (city/county/state); and country of origin.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RE-PA. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            In most cases, the National Archives will not have a copy of the certificate of citizenship. Two copies of the certificate were created – one given to the petitioner as proof of citizenship, and one forwarded to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).


            Certificates of citizenship were issued by the Federal courts until October 1991 when INS took over responsibility for naturalization proceedings. All INS records are now overseen by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). USCIS maintains duplicate copies of court records (including the certificate of citizenship) created since September 27, 1906 and may be requested through the USCIS Genealogy Program.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!