1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 1, 2020 3:54 PM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking 1967 Quarterdeck Logs for US NAVCOMSTAPHIL

Leroy McCaul Newbie

I was assigned Temporary Additional Duty (TAD)  to NAVCOMSTAPHIL's Detachment Alpha of Company L Marine Support Battalion at the US Army's 7th Radio Research Facility in PhuBai, Republic of South Vietnam in April 1967. That assignment is not documented in my service Record but was recorded in the command's Quarterdeck log, as was my return to NAVCOMSTAPHIL in late June 1967. Those two entries will verify my in-country assignment for VA Compensation purposes.

• Re: Seeking 1967 Quarterdeck Logs for US NAVCOMSTAPHIL
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. McCaul,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

According to the Department of the Navy records management regulations, only the deck logs of major combatant and support ships are considered permanent records and eventually accessioned into the custody of the National Archives. Other types of logs (engineer, engine room, quarter deck, sick bay or sick call, radio, and quartermaster) are deemed to be temporary records and destroyed by the Navy after initial administrative use.

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Muster Rolls and Personnel Diaries, 1/1941 - 12/1980 that may include muster rolls for NAVCOMSTAPHIL's Detachment Alpha, Company L, Marine Support Battalion listing you either leaving for TAD or being received for a TAD. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at Archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

[Information provided by Nate Patch, Subject Matter Expert]