11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2020 3:30 PM by Donna Travis

Seeking my Grandfather's WWII Army Records

Donna Travis Wayfarer

Hello, I am trying to find my Grandfather's WWII Army records (he passed away in 1970) I have very little information about his service. I have the photograph I have posted here and the information that he was in the Army from March 14, 1941 until June 11, 1945. I believe he was stationed somewhere in South America for some or all of his time in the Army. I do not have his service number.  I am wanting to request his records but was hoping to have more information before making my request. Does anyone have any ideas where I can look to find more information? I have tried Ancestry, Fold 3 and FamilySearch and can only find his World War II Draft Card. Thank you for any help!

• Re: Seeking my Grandfather's WWII Army Records
          Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Donna,

You might want to ry reaching out to the State Veterans Office for the state he grew up in. You may also try contacting the local county veterans service office or county recorder office. The men and women typically registered their discharge papers with the county. This was because of state benefits or WW2 stipends paid by the state for their service. If you have his name and DOB and place I can take a look as well.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

1 person found this helpful
              Donna Travis Wayfarer

Elliot,

Thanks so much for your suggestions (I am going to start searching asap) and also for your offer to help with my search. My grandfather’s name was Loring McClellan Leathers, he was born Sept 4,1919 in Monroe Michigan.

I know with the COVID restrictions in so many of the State and County offices that it can be a while before I may learn anything new so I am grateful for your help.

Thanks again,

Donna

Donna Travis Wayfarer

I apologize I just realized I forgot to include my Grandfathers name in my original question. His name was Loring McClellan Leathers.

Thank you.

Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Donna,

Please copy and paste this link into your web browser. My suspicions were correct he was Cost Artillery from the collar insignia.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/72559422/loring-mcclelland-leathers

Hope this helps,

Elliot Schneider

3 people found this helpful
                      Donna Travis Wayfarer

Elliot,

Thank you!!

I was able to find him in one record on Fold 3 using the Coast Artillery clue you gave me! The picture is fuzzy. Looks to me like Enlisted U.S. Army Personel on the US Navy Muster Roll for LST #71 sailing from New Orleans, LA to Panama on LST #71 on July 20, 1943. Service number and Corporal then looks like CA 723rd CA BTRY AA but I cannot read the last few letters or numbers.

Could not find any more records this morning but hopefully more will surface.

Thank you so very much!

WW II Navy Muster Roll of Army Personel LST #71 July 20, 1943

joan stachnik Scout

HI Donna, I found an article that may be of interest to you, on the Coastal Artillery. An excerpt is below, and the link for the entire article also. There are 2 mentions of the 723rd; not sure if the dates correspond to the ship manifest you posted. I think the last 3 numbers on the manifest are the APO, 817 is my guess (found this for APO 817: A.P.O. [817] Talara, Peru 723rd Coast Artillery (A.A.)). Hope it is of some help to you. joan

58th Coast Artillery (TD) Regiment

The 58th CA (155 mm Gun) Regt was constituted 4-1-42 in the AUS and organized with 2nd Bn HHB, Btrys C & D, and detachments from Btrys A, B, E, & F, 56th CA (155 mm Gun) Regt, serving in South America, transferred to 58th CA 4-1-42. The Chilean force consisted of detachments of two officers and 25 men each from Btrys A, B, E, & F. The Peruvian force, a detachment of 2nd Bn HHB, 56th CA, composed of a detachment of Btry D and a section of Btry G (SL), sailed for Talara, Peru, arriving 3-8-42. It was redesignated component of 58th CA 8-6-42. On 8-14-42, the detachment was inactivated, its personnel used to organize the 723rd and 727th CA (AA) Btrys (Sep) to defend the new U.S. airbase near Talara. Btry D was transferred to Venezuela, where it was reactivated 10-18-42 as part of the Venezeula Force, composed of a detachment of 2nd Bn HHB, Btry C, and reactivated Btry D. The 2nd Bn established its headquarters at Puerto de la Cruz, Venezuela, only until 6-26-44. Btry C departed for Curaçao, NWI, 3-4-43, arriving 3-5-43. Btry D departed Puerto de la Cruz 3-10-43 and reached Aruba, NWI, the next day. On 6-1-43 Btrys C and D were inactivated; Btry C’s personnel activated 815th CA (AMTB) Btry (Sep) at Curaçao, and the personnel of Btry D activated the 814th CA (AMTB) Btry (Sep) at Aruba.

Detachments of Btrys A, B, E, and F of the 58th CA were stationed at Barquites, Tacopilla, Astofagasta, and San Antonio, Chile, until 4-27-43 when they received movement orders to for Cp. McQuaid, CA, where the detachments were inactivated 5-15-43 to 7-1-43. The 58th CA Regt was disbanded 6-26-44.

196th Coast Artillery (AA) Regiment

Constituted 9-8-42 in the AUS as 196th CA (AA) Regt. Btry E activated at Talara, Peru, 10-12-42 with personnel and equipment from 723rd CA (AA) (Gun) Btry (Sep) and 727th CA (AA) (AAMG) Btry (Sep). Manned AA defenses at Talara airfield until transferred to Ft. Bliss, TX, via New Orleans POE, arriving 10-6-43. Btry E was inactivated Ft. Bliss 12-10-43. Btry F activated Ft. Randolph 12-20-42 and moved to Ft. Clayton, PCZ, departing for Ft. Bliss via New Orleans POE, arriving 10- 6-43. Inactivated Ft. Bliss 12-10-43. Btry G activated 12-1-42 at Ft. Amador and transferred to the Galapagos Islands until inactivated 9-15-43. HHB and Btrys H & I, 2nd Bn, 196th CA (AA) Regt, activated Ft. Amador 12-20-42. Manned AA defenses at Ft. Amador until 9-15-43. Departed for Ft. Bliss via New Orleans POE, arriving 10-6-43. Btry I arrived at Ft. Bliss 10-6-43 and inactivated 12- 10-43. Btrys G & H, 2nd Bn, inactivated Ft. Bliss 12-10-43, and regiment disbanded.

https://cdsg.org/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/FORTS/CACunits/CACreg1.pdf

2 people found this helpful
                      Thomas Richardson Tracker

Dear Ms. Travis,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests. When submitting your request, please provide as much information as possible, including name, date of birth, branch, years of service, social security number, and service number (if possible).

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020. As of June 24, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process. The center is currently only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities. If this is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. We apologize for any inconvenience.

From what can be assessed from the photograph and from additional sources such as Find-A-Grave, the lapel insignia shows that he served in the Coast Artillery. The two ribbons from left to right are the American Defense Service Ribbon and the American Campaign Ribbon. The ADSR indicates that he served in the U.S. Armed Forces prior to December 7, 1941 and the ACR indicates that he served in the American Theater of Operations (ATO) which included both the North and South American continents. The Expert and Marksman weapons badges were also awarded.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

4 people found this helpful
                          Donna Travis Wayfarer

Thomas,

Thank you! You have answered many of the questions I had regarding my Grandfather's service and the info you gave me will definely help me in my continued search. It is great to know what the ribbons and the badges were for. I will request his service records as you suggested.

I am so grateful for History Hub and people like you who are able to give answers to the questions.

Donna

1 person found this helpful