4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2020 4:14 PM by Ivy Lantz

Letter head in all caps

Ivy Lantz Newbie

When reviewing and/or transcribing, if the letter head is in all capital letters, do we transcribed or edit it to be exactly the same? Also when we do letter head do we do spacing differently. I have typed out the information as well as added the link below. Please advise and thank you in advance for your help!

ANSWERED, AUG 11 1918

THE WOMEN'S JOURNAL

585 BOYLSTON STREET, BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS

TELEPHONE-BACK BAY 4717

EDITOR-IN-CHIEF

ALICE STONE BLACKWELL

BUSINESS MANANGER

AGNES E. RYAN

https://crowd.loc.gov/campaigns/organizing-for-womens-suffrage-the-nawsa-records/general-correspondence-a-g/mss341320038…

• Re: Letter head in all caps
          LOC Manuscript Division Tracker

Hello Ivy,

Good question. I think the way you have it is fine as the capitalization in the letterhead does not inform the tone or meaning of the authors words. Although this isn't addressed specifically in the Help section, community manager Lauren Algee wrote the following to a similar question:

"...we want you to type what you see and keep search in mind.  The Library's search capability is capitalization-agnostic, so it doesn't hurt (or help) for something to be uppercase vs. lowercase. 

When transcribing, I generally stick with original capitalization. Sometimes "translating" capitalization from one to the other requires a volunteer to make assumptions about capitalization of names or acronyms that might unintentionally insert errors. Something to look out for as a reviewer. But I do understand that as a transcriber or reader it can be almost painful to have to read all caps, so it isn't something I worry about changing as a reviewer."

See the following for the discussion:

Re: Uppercase/Lowercase

Best wishes,

Lewis

Lewis Wyman

Manuscript Division

Library of Congress

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Letter head in all caps
            Henry Rosenberg Tracker

Fellow transcriber here. If I were doing a new transcription, I would do it in all caps. However, coming across that. I would not necessarily change it if it formatted well. If there were other errors I would fix the letterhead but if all else looks good, I would accept it. Just my opinion.

Henry

3 people found this helpful