1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 30, 2020 12:24 PM by Thomas Richardson Branched to a new discussion.

    Seeking my military service records


      How can I obtain my service records?

        • Re: Seeking my military service records
          Thomas Richardson Navigator

          Dear Mr. Stodghill,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          To obtain a copy of your service records, please begin by requesting your Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces after 1958 through October 2002 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire.


          OMPFs for service members who were discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces after October 2002 are held with the service branch in which the veteran served. The National Personnel Records Center will refer these requests to the appropriate service branch records department.


          Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions.. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020. As of June 24, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process. The center is currently only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities. If this is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful.