1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 30, 2020 2:07 PM by Rebecca Collier

    Seeking military records of John Mency


      I’ve been attempting to seek military records for my father, John David Mency.  I haven’t seen him over 30 yrs.  My father was in the 82nd Airborne station in Fayetteville, North Carolina. He was from Brundidge, Alabama. This is so important because my oldest son is now in the 82nd Airborne in Fayetteville and I would like for him the know about his grandfather.

        • Re: Seeking military records of John Mency
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

          Dear Ms. Kendrick,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Army after 1958 and prior to October 16, 1992 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 6 series pertaining to the 82nd Airborne Division in the Records of the Army Staff (Record Group 319) during the 1970s, 1980s & 1990s stationed out of Fort Bragg, NC. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, the NPRC is currently only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities. If this is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We also located the website of the 82nd Airborne Division that may be of interest.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

          1 person found this helpful