5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2020 8:26 AM by Elliot Schneider

Seeking record of Conscription Stand-In

Ashley Gonzalez Newbie

I have an ancestor who claimed in his Revolutionary War pension file that he was a stand-in for a man who was conscripted in Virginia in 1781. His pension was declined as he could not find people who could verify his service. Are there files that exist which names those who were conscripted and if so, would it notate the names of the people who "stood-in" for those conscripted??

• Re: Seeking record of Conscription Stand-In
          Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Ashley,

Do you have any additional information on the individual you are seeking? Its possible that the man he stood in for a person that would have been disqualified for service based upon certain physical conditions at those times.

However,  Conscription in the United States, commonly known as the draft, has been employed by the federal government of the United States in six conflicts: the American Revolutionary War, the American Civil War, World War I, World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War. The fourth incarnation of the draft came into being in 1940 through the Selective Training and Service Act.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

1 person found this helpful
              Ashley Gonzalez Newbie

Hi Elliot! I meant to respond over the weekend and completely forgot! I do have a lot of information on the person, which I detailed in a blog post on my personal website. The person he stood in for, William Denson, was a farmer. In all likelihood, Joseph was helping him when William was conscripted. There is a JSTOR article (from the Virginia Historical Society, I think) about the Virginia farmers and their unwillingness to serve and deserting when it was time to harvest crops. It could be William had a willing participant in Joseph. To that point, it appears William Denson did not serve. He was of age and should have/could have served.

My end goal is to see if I can prove or disprove Joseph's service. I'm trying to find more record sets that are available, especially where conscription or muster rolls are concerned.

Thanks!

Ashley

Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Ashley,

Have been doing some digging and one question I asked myself is why did Joseph Martin not bring William Denson to court in order to collaborate their stories together. That question was solved when I found a William Denson died in 1779.

I found a digital book called the roster of soldiers from  North Carolina found other "Martians" in the book but not Joseph Martian. Did find a William Denson their is an index at the end Denson is on page # 648. if you look on page #120 of the document you can see Denson was also listed as part of Blount's Company and scroll all the way to the right hand column and see the note that he died Sept 1st 1779 only serving 9 months.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89062885116&view=1up&seq=146

Also found North Carolina pay vouchers for  Joseph Martin looks like service in two separate counties. Also if you look at Joseph Martin 1781 Pay Voucher in Halifax and the William Denson 1781 Pay voucher in Halifax only two months apart Josephs showing Sept 1781 and Densons Showing August 1781.

I'm going to see what Southampton, Virginia has on Joseph Martin in Virginia records.

Joseph Martin •
                  Event Type:Military Service
                  Event Date:Jun 1784 •
                  Event Place:Washington, Beaufort, North Carolina, United States

Name:Joseph Martin •
                  Event Date:18 Sep 1781 •
                  Event Place:Halifax, Halifax, North Carolina, United States

Name:Martin •
                  Event Date:01 Oct 1783 •
                  Event Place:Hillsborough, Orange, North Carolina, United States

Lastly also found one from William Denson

Name:William Denson •
                  Event Date:27 Aug 1781 •
                  Event Place:Halifax, Halifax, North Carolina, United States

Hope this helps,

Elliot Schneider

Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Ashley,

Found Muster Rolls for Virginia for 1778 Joseph if he said he entered service in Virginia then for some reason moved to North Carolina to be near family then him enlisting in the North Carolina sometime in Halifax, NC in 1781

Name:Joseph Martin
                    Military Date:8 Sep 1778
                    Military Place:Virginia, USA
                    State or Army Served:Virginia
                    Regiment:10th Regiment

Name:Joseph Martin
                    Military Date:Apr 1779
                    Military Place:Virginia, USA
                    State or Army Served:Virginia
                    Regiment:6th Regiment

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Ms. Gonzalez,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Compiled Service Records of Soldiers Who Served in the American Army During the Revolutionary War in the War Department Collection of Revolutionary War Records (Record Group 93). These records were not created during the Revolutionary War, but were created by the Department of War starting in the 1890s from extant records among its files in an attempt to create substitutes for records destroyed by fires in 1800 and 1814. Because the Department was not able to reconstruct every record, a soldier may have fought in a Continental Army unit during the war, but there may not be a compiled military service record for him. These records generally show when a soldier joined a unit and if he was present when the unit was mustered, and sometimes contain other information, however we’ve not encountered references to draft substitutions. For more information about these records, please email the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at Archives1reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

These records are available on Fold3 at Revolutionary War Service Records and on Ancestry at U.S. Compiled Revolutionary War Military Service Records, 1775-1783. If you share with us the name of the person you are researching, we can use our institutional subscription to these websites to check if they have any files for your ancestor.

Congress did not have the power to conscript men for the Army during the Revolutionary War. Congress set troop quotas for states, but it was up to the states to decide how to fulfill them, and the actual process of conscription was done under state law and by state governments. Therefore, if there are any surviving records of substitutes, they may be at the Library of Virginia or in the hands of individual counties. In Virginia, most historical records of counties are kept at county courthouses, though many counties in Virginia have gaps because of various accidental fires over the years as well as intentional destruction of courthouses and/or court records during the American Revolution and the American Civil War.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful