4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2020 10:39 PM by Steve Thomas

Seeking ship manifest of Ship Adriatic

Steve Thomas Newbie

Hi, I cannot find a ship manifest for Rodolfo Mannarelli.  Naturalization records indicate he came over on the boat "Adriatic" arriving around/either 03/27/1913 or 04/26/1912.  Please help guide me in finding this document.

• Re: Seeking ship manifest of Ship Adriatic
          Susannah Brooks Scout

Looking at his naturalization file on Ancestry.com (declaration, certificate of arrival, & petition) I noticed that the surname on the certificate of arrival was Petruccelli. 

If you search NY Passenger arrivals for "Rodolfo Petrucelli" arrival in 1913 on the Adriatic you will find his arrival.

Steve Thomas Newbie

Thank you!  That surname was his mothers last name, strange.  What is the best way to search the arrivals? I tried that name and have not had luck yet with the resources I have.   

Susannah Brooks Scout

I used Ancestry.com and the spelling "Rodolfo Petrucelli" to find his arrival.  This is the easiest search and you can download and print from the site.

You can also search the Ellis Island website using https://stevemorse.org/.  Use the Ellis Island gold form and enter R in first name, Petuccelli in surname space (not the different in spelling), and 1913 as year of arrival.  Click on "view manifest" when the entry appears.  This will bring you to the second page of the 2 page entry for him.  He is #20 on the page.  To see his name and first page containing his entry  you will need to click on the little blue arrow above the tiny page images to the right of the large image  and go back one page to image 0345.  To enlarge the page and stop it from jumping around click on the Full Page button above the image.  Because they sell the images, you cannot download or print from this site.

My guess (not necessarily true) is that he was born illegitimate and his legal surname was that of his mother.  He obviously knew who his father was and when he got to the US he started using his father's surname.   FamilySearch.org has a lot of Italian civil registration and church records, but the majority are only viewable at your local Family History Center (they are closed at this time due to the pandemic).