12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2020 11:32 AM by lam0366

Seeking records of Alice Taylor in Byberry Hospital

lam0366 Wayfarer

I was told that one of my fathers sisters was a patient in BYBERRY HOSPITAL in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Basically I was told she was not mentally stable and lived and died in this hospital.  ALICE TAYLOR, DOB approx 1915, is listed with the family in the 1930 Philadelphia Pennsylvania census, stating her age as 16 years old.   https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/6224/images/4639453_00809?pId=55545704 The head of the household is my dads oldest brother James, and his mother (second name) is Mary, who passed away shortly after the Census was taken.  His sisters ETHEL and  MILDRED, and my dad REYLAND (my dad who's name is completely wrong here...his name in 1930 was Ellis Reynolds Taylor) are the next 3 lines.

Alice married Emil W. Potoczny. There were 4 different records or indexes I have found.  See attached screen copies, there are two records per screenshot, the second part to each record is the “associated facts” that Ancestry shows and the names don’t match. 

Alice had one son, Paul Potoczny, he was raised within the Philadelphia Catholic Charities/St. Vincent's home/school for boys. I am assuming that his dad, Emil (husband) divorced Alice before 1940 or just after Paul was born because he married a second time in 1941 to a Mary Delano.  The 1940 US Census, dated May 24, 1940, State of Pennsylvania, County of Montgomery, Township of Upper Moreland shows him living with his Paternal Grandparents. He was 1 year old, his name - Jerome E. Potoczny instead of Paul Potoczny.

Please, if someone would be able to tell me where to find information on Alice, possibly tell me where to go or whom to call to inquire about her Hospital records, even if it is the dates of her admission and discharge, or if she really did live and pass away in the facility?  What was the cause of death, was there a diagnosis for her mental, illness, where was she buried?  I did manage to find her MARRIAGE LICENSE NUMBER 680070 and the DIGITAL GSU NUMBER 4141809 for the marriage record, not included in above screenshots, The information was found under Emil W. Potoczny’s name, in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Marriage Index 1885 - 1951.  Thank you so much for reading, and hopefully giving any advice or help in my quest, it is very much appreciated.

• Re: Seeking records of Alice Taylor in Byberry Hospital
          Alice Lane Tracker

Hi Lynn

Welcome to History Hub

Alice-social security info-states she died in 1984

You should be able to get death information from Social Security

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JBLZ-CM2

Alice and Emil marriage

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:ZWSS-R9W2

Emil in 1940 census...states he is married..no wife on page-

still married to Alice..did not remarry

until May 29, 1941

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KQZ2-Y3Y

Emil Army enlistment 1945

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K8TK-98P

Residence in 2001 of Paul Potoczny born July 15, 1938

Possibly son of Alice

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KPWT-7B2

Alice Lane

Research Volunteer

1 person found this helpful
              lam0366 Wayfarer

Thank you for responding Alice!  Wow, that was extremely fast for a response. I believe the information I did find until I found History Hub took a few weeks for me to find it.
              I am not sure if I remembered her year of birth being 1917. I know I originally searched for my dads siblings about 2-3 years ago. I had estimated her year of birth around 1915, but I don't remember what I based that assumption on? 
              I did find the link to family search records for her death certificate very helpful although there are no pictures of the document stating the cause of death.  I am thinking that I will have to find a family search library in order to get a copy of that showing the reason of death. I appreciate your time and efforts to help me find the answers.
              Lynn A. Taylor-Buccafuri

Cara Jensen Scout

Dear Ms.Taylor-Buccafuri,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you search the Pennsylvania State Archives Death Indices for a record of Alice Potoczny’s death.  The names on the 1920-1924 and 1930-1951 indexes are listed according to the Russell Soundex method of indexing. The surname code for Potoczny is P-325.  Within each code number on the index, the names are arranged alphabetically by the first (given) name of the individual.

We also suggest that you search for Alice Potoczny in the Social Security Death Index, or the Family Search General Search index, or apply for her death certificate from the Pennsylvania Department of Vital Records.  In addition, the FamilySearch Research wiki for Pennsylvania Death Records may be useful.

Most cities and counties have yearly directories for residents.  Some of these directories are indexed by address but most are alphabetically by last name.  We suggest you consult the FamilySearch wiki on United States Directories to locate any listings for Alice Potoczny in Philadelphia.

Philadelphia State Hospital records are held by the Pennsylvania State Archives.  We suggest that you contact them for assistance in locating the information you seek.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

Susannah Brooks Scout

1920 Census for Alice, her parents, & siblings: https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/6061/images/4384846_01084?pId=92626905

history of Philadelphia State Hospital at Byberry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_State_Hospital_at_Byberry

Records through 1942 are at the Pennsylvania State Archives in Harrisburg PA.  Scroll down to Philadelphia State Hospital to see what sort of records they have http://www.phmc.state.pa.us/bah/aaGuide/AA-RG-23.html

Request form for records from PA State Archives (go down to #24)  https://www.phmc.pa.gov/Archives/Documents/Pennsylvania-State-Archives-Mail-Reference-Order-Form.pdf

lam0366 Wayfarer

Susannah,

Thank you very much for your response, I found it extremely helpful, especially the information on The Hospital. I wish I was able to find the different websites as fast, and as easily as you and another person from this site.  From what I read it doesn't look like they will give me information on Alice, because I am not her child.  I intend on trying anyway, to request the information from the state archives anyway. It can not hurt to try at this point.

I am also thinking about trying to request any records on my fathers parents as well.  As I said in my first post, request for help, we knew nothing about my dads immediate family.
                    I appreciate and thank you again for your help.

lynn A. Taylor-Buccafuri

Susannah Brooks Scout

Your Taylor grandparents (Robert A. Taylor & Maria Jose de Sousa) only lived in the US for 26 years or less, so there is limited information on them.  Neither became a US citizen.   In the 1930 US census it states that Mary came to the US in 1905.  In the 1920 US census the arrival year for both Robert and Mary was listed as unknown. 

I found a few pieces of information that may help you.  The first is Robert's WWI draft card (all men between the ages of 18-roughly 45 yrs old had to register for the draft, it does not mean they served).

I discovered that one has to be careful when looking for records on Robert, because there was another Robert A. Taylor in Philadelphia who was close in age to your ancestor & who also died in 1921.  The other two records are the death certificated for Robert and for Mary.

Mary's death certificate has her place of birth listed as Horta, Azores, Portugal.  Horta was a city that encompassed  the island of Faial.  

Alice Lane Tracker

Hi Lynn,

Depending on how important this is to you it is possible to apply for a death

certicate for Alice

If you live in Philadelphia or nearby you can go there to get the death information.

You need to read the following information to find out how and the cost

..Click on link below.

https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/certificates/Pages/Public-Offices.aspx

Alice Lane

Research Volunteer.

lam0366 Wayfarer

Susannah, you're so sweet.  Thank you for the copies of the death certificates.

Yes, I am in Pennsylvania and I do have copies of the grandparents death certifiicates. I also have Marias paperwork from the azores, she was an. “Exposta” abandoned  as a newborn (so sad) and born in

Angra do Heroismo, Terceira island, azores.  At least I have found that much on her, and found someone to translate the documents for me, well the main gist of them anyway.  I still want to look for her grave site, I forget the name of the cemetery, but I have it in my notes because my  oldest sister remembers being there when she was little.
                          I was very upset after finding Roberts death certificate.  I know it says on the census records that he was the father or head of household, but after ordering my fathers birth certificate I learned that isn't the case.  It says on my dads birth certificate that his fathers name was John Taylor and he was from Jamaica.

I Have been puling my hair out over this, so frustrated. There are too many Taylors in he world!!  Lol

It does not state his year of birth or anything else, just JOHN TAYLOR FROM JAMAICA, so its like starting over from scratch and so very confusing. Ive been using my sister and my cousins dna to try to help in that search but I am not getting anywhere.  I am also starting to think that there is a lot of crossovers between my dad and moms side. I just have a weird feeling that this will never end, I will never find our grandparents? We will never learn the truth or know much more than the little bit I have gathered over the past 2+ years.

Thank you again for your help and extra searching that you did for me.  It is very much appreciated.

- Lynn

Susannah Brooks Scout

Never assume that the information on a death certificate about the parents of the deceased is correct.  It is only as correct as the information that was provided by the informant.  In this case you need to remember that your father was 2 years old or less when his father died, so he had no personal memories of him and his was only 12 or less when his mother died.. The most common people to provide information on a death certificate are the spouse or children of the deceased, but at times it is a more distant relative or an institution, such as a hospital. So the information about his parents would have be passed through several people over the years to the informant, who had no direct knowledge of the parents..  You should obtain a copy of your father's birth certificate to see who the parents are.

Alice Lane Tracker

Hi again Lynn,

Social Security cards began in 1936....I am curious as to why Alice had one, did she have a job,

at anytime, before entering Byberry or could she have left Byberry and gotten a job?

In the notice about Alice's Social Security it has that she got the card in Connecticutt. Did she

have a connection to someone in Connecticutt? This has become a real mystery.

Also in the Census her middle initial is M but in the marriage certificate it is L for Luella

1920 census states mother and father from Portugal

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MNMG-MLC

1930 Census states mother and father are from Spain

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XHWC-TVK

1940 Census Emil Potoczny

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KQZ2-Y3Y

Birth of Mary Elizabeth Taylor states her father from Jamaica and her mother

from Portugal

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QPHY-631F

Alice Lane

Alice Lane Tracker

Lynn,

This article is from the Phila. Inquirer of March 15, 1940. The way this is written it looks

like Alice started the Divorce proceedings.

Alice Lane

Research Volunteer

lam0366 Wayfarer

Wow!!  This is awesome to see, and I thank you so much.   I would have never thought to look in the newspapers for anything pertaining to Alice since I was led to believe she lived and died in Byberry Hospital. I thought if I were to find anything it would be an obituary but I couldn't even find that for Alice.  The terrible thing about searching for my family is the names were so common. Taylor for dad and McFadden for mom .  I read some here that Taylor was one of the top 10 Surnames Worldwide.  Anyway, Thank you so Much Alice, you have been very helpful.