3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2020 10:50 AM by Shannon Kerner

    Seeking military records for Carl H Weber


      I am seeking information on Carl H Weber's (my grandfather) military time in World War I.  He signed up for the draft but was exempted.  He enlisted in May 1918. He traveled to France on the USS America - left Newport News on July 31,1918 and arrived in Brest France in August 1918.  He returned to the USA in May 1919. He was discharged on June 1, 1919 at Camp Grant.


        • Re: Seeking military records for Carl H Weber
          Elliot Schneider Guide



          Here is some additional information



          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking military records for Carl H Weber

            Dear Ms. McKean,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series titled Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 in the Records of the Selective Service System (World War I) (Record Group 163) that may include a card for your relative. For access to and/or copies of these records, please contact the National Archives at Atlanta (RE-AT) via email at atlanta.archives@nara.gov.


            We also located Records of Provisional Ordnance Depot Companies, 1918 - 1919 in the  Records of U.S. Regular Army Mobile Units (Record Group 391) that includes records of the 33rd Provisional Ordnance Depot Company during WWI. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov. We were unable to locate records of the 43rd Ordnance Casual Company.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RE-AT & RDT2. Also, the NPRC is currently only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities. If this is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!