4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2020 6:38 PM by David Cramm

    Need a copy of a DD-214 from 1963

    David Cramm Newbie

      I'm working to help a vet find a copy of his DD-214. He's called the VA, NPRC, and a few other offices with no success. The VA website doesn't have it and his Social Security Number isn't recognized.

        • Re: Need a copy of a DD-214 from 1963
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Have you tried the State Veterans Office or the County Recorders office were the individual lives. You might be able to find there if he ever recorded his discharge papers with the county. Some state not all have options for you especially if they have ever applied for state benefits.


          NPRC probably will not process his request for military records unless it is an emergency request. Such as a burial





          Elliot Schneider

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Need a copy of a DD-214 from 1963
            Sergio Rivera Newbie



            Go to https://www.archives.gov

            I went to the same website for my husband and all he has to do is type in his information that is asked on the website an print and sign it. It has the address he can mail it to.



            • Re: Need a copy of a DD-214 from 1963
              Sabine Gorgas Adventurer

              Hi David,


              this webpage should actually show the way how to get the DD-214




              If your veteran cannot access the internet he can also make a request per snail mail, all information is on the page. I would provide all the information that he still can remember. My husband is retired from the army and I can say from my own experience, just calling is not enough.



              1 person found this helpful
              • Re: Need a copy of a DD-214 from 1963
                Thomas Richardson Tracker

                Dear Mr. Cramm,


                Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


                Please begin by requesting a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces after 1958 and prior to 1999 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


                Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020. As of June 24, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process. The center is currently only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities. If this is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. We apologize for any inconvenience.


                We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


                1 person found this helpful