1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 29, 2020 10:49 AM by Shannon Kerner

    Seeking military marker for my father


      I have tried to obtain a military marker for my Father 2 times without success. He was in WWII. I need someone to help me obtain the marker. He was wounded in Germany, came home 100% disabled. His disability was re-classed at 80%. His last visit to a VA hospital was in 1959 in Memphis, Tennessee. The hospital staff took his DD-214 and did not return it. I am still awaiting a response. Any suggestions?

        • Re: Seeking military marker for my father

          Dear Ms. Wooten,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020. As of June 24, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process. The center is currently only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities. If this is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          To apply for a headstone for a veteran, please fill out VA Form 40-1330 and mail it to the Memorial Products Service (41B), Department of Veterans Affairs, 5109 Russell Road. Quantico, VA 22134-3903  For more information, send an email to mps.headstones@va.gov.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!