3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2020 1:31 PM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking image south of ADI-12-768

M L Campbell Newbie

I am seeking the images for Shelby county Tennessee (https://catalog.archives.gov/id/148967793), specifically image identifier ADI-12-768 (actually two blocks below (south) of that, but the block I'm looking at is not numbered).

• Re: Seeking image south of ADI-12-768
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear M.L. Campbell,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The record series Indexes to Aerial Photographs of the United States, 1953 - 1957 in the Records of the Farm Service Agency (Record Group 145) that includes the file unit 1937 Indexes to Aerial Photography of Shelby County, Tennessee, 1953 - 1957 is an index to Aerial Photographs of the United States, 1953 - 1957 in Record Group 145. While a small number of photographs from this series have been digitized and are available online, the photographs of Shelby County have not been digitized yet. For more information about these records, please email National Archives at College Park - Cartographic (RDSC) at carto@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSC. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful
              M L Campbell Newbie

Thank you for your reply.  I'm currently at an impasse.  The map/film I need is available at NARA but it's closed.  Since I'm not local to the DC area, I'll have to hire a researcher, but after calling a couple of them, they have no idea when normalcy will be restored to the research rooms, so they won't even quote a price, and one said they've got so many pending requests that it would be months before they could get to it. 

Are these maps available somewhere else, via interlibrary loan -or- can copies of the microfilm be purchased? 

It's frustrating to be near the end of a project and not be able to secure the information that could solve the problem.

Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear M.L. Campbell,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub!

The aerial imagery in question has not been reproduced on microfilm and is not available via interlibrary loan. We are unaware of any other repositories that have copies. At present, non-emergency reproduction services have been suspended, but if you email RDSC at carto@nara.gov, they can provide you with more detailed information about what options may be available when local health conditions permit them to resume reproduction services.

As the Archivist of the United States said in his message To Our Researchers, “...we understand that our remote services are not a substitute for being physically in the research room. We know you are anxious to return, and we are too.” He went on to explain that “We are working diligently on our plans for the gradual reopening of our facilities across the country... The reopening plans will be based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Office of Personnel Management, and the Office of Management and Budget, as well as information from subject matter experts from within and outside of the federal government. The reopening of each research room will occur based on our assessment of local conditions against a set of established criteria.”

For the latest information about the National Archives response to the COVID19 crisis, see https://www.archives.gov/coronavirus.

We hope this is helpful.

1 person found this helpful