2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2020 2:37 PM by Imelda Russell

Seeking 1919 Public Health Service records for District 12

Imelda Russell Newbie

I am looking for records of the 12th District of the United States Public Health Service [California, Arizona and Nevada]  regarding a request they sent out to Northern California Counties in August of 1919 for county "Honor Roll" records. This was in order for the PHS "to examine and give medical attention to the beneficiaries of War Risk Insurance." I have checked RG 90 - Records of the Public Health Service in the National Archives Catalog and also for records of the National Archives at San Bruno online and found nothing other than a series that seems to be general correspondence with the War Risk Bureau. I am looking for the county side of the records. Have I missed something? Should I be looking elsewhere or were they not kept?

• Re: Seeking 1919 Public Health Service records for District 12
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Ms. Russell,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog, however we were unable to locate any record series specifically for Public Health Service districts.  It is possible that district level records were not retained as permanent records. There may be records about this matter in the Central Files, 1897 - 1944 in the Records of the Public Health Service (Record Group 90). This series is partially indexed by the Index to Central Files, 1897 - 1923. For more information, please email the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at Archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

There may be records of the county responses to the request kept at the county level. Please contact the county governments involved for information about their records.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful