1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 18, 2020 9:55 AM by Holly Rivet

Submitting forms to NPRC

Lowell Silverman Wayfarer

I realize that the NPRC is going to be closed to all but the most urgent records requests for the foreseeable future.  I have a number records that I would like to send SF180s for (a list which grows by the month!). I was wondering if it made sense to mail such requests now or whether I should wait for operations to reopen.  Would such non-urgent requests be handled in the order that they were received once the center reopens, making it wise to submit them now?  Is there a risk that submitting forms now would result in the SF180s being returned unopened or misplaced?  Thanks.

• Re: Submitting forms to NPRC
          Holly Rivet Tracker

Dear Mr. Silverman,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

When an incoming request is received by the NPRC staff, it is processed in this manner: (1) the documents are scanned into the system, (2) the request is reviewed to determine the level of urgency and placed in the proper queue, and (3) the NPRC staff will respond to non-urgent requests in the order they were received BUT their ability to complete these cases depends largely on what Phase level the NPRC building is in based on COVID-19 cases in their locality. The Phase level determines how many staff members are permitted to work in the NPRC at one time. It's a matter of staffing and keeping everyone safe.

For more information about NARA's phased reopening, please visit https://www.archives.gov/coronavirus

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

Sincerely,

Holly Rivet

1 person found this helpful