1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 23, 2020 12:10 PM by Sylvia Naylor

    Seeking Name of WWII DP Camp in British Zone


      I am looking for the name of a WWII Displaced Person (DP) camp that corresponds to Assembly Center G1217 (may b G12i7). It would have been in the British Zone, fairly close to the Hamburg area I believe. The registrar was S. Zaunan or something close to that (handwriting is hard to read on the registration card). How can I find this information? I also have my father's registration number, if that is an easier way to track his location.

        • Re: Seeking Name of WWII DP Camp in British Zone
          Sylvia Naylor Scout

          Dear Ms. Spigulis,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog for any records relating to displaced persons camps.  The search results can be viewed here. Since the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Organization (UNRRA) was responsible for the administration of displaced persons in Europe.  We searched the Catalog for “UNRRA” and “displaced persons.”  The search produced the following results. Please check the descriptions of these records to determine the NARA unit to contact.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from various NARA units. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          In 1945, UNRRA became part of the United Nations and its records are located at the United Nations Archives. The website is https://search.archives.un.org/


          Further, we would suggest looking at the resources available in the Center for Jewish History and the Arolsen Archives as they may contain records relevant to your research.


          Lastly, we suggest you contact The National Archives of the United Kingdom, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU, United Kingdom as they may have records in their holdings about DP camps in the British Zone.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!