8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2020 12:07 PM by Matt Jaworski

Seeking Declaration of Intent & Naturalization of Cornelius Fitzpatrick

Matt Jaworski Newbie

Hi all, I am trying to locate a declaration of intent (1884) AND naturalization (1886) for an ancestor from Albany, NY. Both the declaration and naturalization occurred in Albany, and I have the exact dates of both events. I have tried the Albany Hall of Records, but the only document they seem to have is more of a handwritten index-type page. Can someone please direct me to a resource/collection for acquiring these 2 documents, if one exists? Details are: Cornelius Fitzpatrick; Date/location of declaration of intent: February 25, 1884, Albany, NY; Date/location of naturalization: October 22, 1886, Albany, NY. Thank you very much - this can help break down a nearly 100-year genealogy brick wall,

• Re: Seeking Declaration of Intent & Naturalization of Cornelius Fitzpatrick
          Susannah Brooks Scout

If he files his declaration and/or petition for naturalization in the Justices' Court in Albany, those records are available through the Family History Library  at your local Family History Center (once they reopen). 

declarations 1827-1895 https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/293864?availability=Family%20History%20Library

petitions 1827-1895 https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/210474?availability=Family%20History%20Library

If the declaration or petition was filed in another court, you will have to determine where those records are currently.

1 person found this helpful
            Cara Jensen Scout

Dear Mr. Jaworski,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

As a general rule, the National Archives does not have naturalization records created in state or local courts. However, a few indexes and records have been donated to the National Archives from counties, states, and local courts. We suggest that you contact the National Archives at New York (RE-NY) via email at newyork.archives@nara.gov to determine if records from lower courts are available and to request a search for the naturalization documents that you seek.  To ensure a successful request, please include the name of petitioner (including known variants); date of birth; approximate date of entry to the US; approximate date of naturalization; where the individual was residing at the time of naturalization (city/county/state); and country of origin.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RE-NY. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We also suggest that you review the FamilySearch Research wiki for New York Naturalization and Citizenship.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful
              Alice Lane Tracker

Hi Matt,

Welcome to History Hub

Would you be willing to share his birth year and place of birth and his

parents/wife's name and immigration year?

Was he a resident of New York or did he just go there to apply for

naturalization.

Alice Lane

Research Volunteer

Matt Jaworski Newbie

Hi Alice,

Sure - here is what I have:

Name: Cornelius Fitzpatrick

Birth year: circa 1853

Birth location: Ireland

Parents: James Fitzpatrick & Johanna Sullivan

Wife: Mary Ellen "Minnie" Brown

Immigration year: First documented in the US in an 1883 NJ State Marriage Return March (in West Hoboken, NJ), so emigration occurred before the March 4, 1883 marriage. It indicated that he was living in Union City, NJ at the time of the marriage. I have not yet located an immigration record lead for Cornelius

Cornelius was a resident of Albany, NY from 1884 until his death in 1890 (he appears in many Albany City Directories, but he does not appear in any NY or US censuses). The handwritten naturalization index I mentioned above is from the Albany NY Hall of Records. It lists a declaration of intent date/location of February 25, 1884 in Albany; it lists his actual naturalization date as October 22, 1886 in Albany.

Cornelius has been hard to trace back to Ireland; I have baptismal records for his 3 children, and they do not provide any additional information. I also have his death notice, death record, and burial location which doesn't offer much more than I already knew.

Would love any help you can offer - either the declaration of intent (should list helpful information), the actual naturalization document, or a ship manifest to trace back to Ireland.

Thanks very much,

Matt