2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2020 5:05 PM by Shannon Kerner

    Seeking photo of Leonard Grambach


      I am seeking a picture of Leonard John Grambach for his grandson. He served in WWll from Bosque, Cuyahoga, Ohio and is deceased. He enlisted in 1943 and was stationed in the U.K., Germany, and California where this part of his family now lives.  

        • Re: Seeking photo of Leonard Grambach
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Unfortunately service members photos were not permanent to their files. I would suggest seeing if their are any unit groups on the internet many units that served in WW2 had printed unit yearbooks for their time while overseas. Do you have any unit information.





          • Re: Seeking photo of Leonard Grambach
            Shannon Kerner Adventurer

            Dear Ms. Grambach-Hayes,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            The "official" photograph of an individual is not considered to be permanent federal records by the respective military services and is not retained in a separate collection by the service. If the photograph you are seeking still exists, it will most likely be found in the individual's Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). However, there is no guarantee the photograph will be present.


            We suggest that you request a copy of his OMPF. OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020. As of June 24, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process. The center is currently only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities. If this is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!