2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2020 9:01 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking photo of Warren Smith at Plattsburgh Air Force Base

Jennifer Stone Newbie

I am the Public Services Librarian for the Plattsburgh Public Library. I have a patron who is looking for a picture of himself that was published, he believes in the Champ Planer or Champlainer in October 1957. He is older though and his memory of the photograph timeline might be different. His name is Warren A. Smith, he was a radio operator stationed at Plattsburgh Air Force Base. He served with the KC-97 crew of the 26th Air Refueling Squadron. He has a newspaper clipping that is degrading due to time and handling. He would like a replacement copy. I have searched the sources I have and am unable to find this for him. I appreciate any help or advice you can offer.

• Re: Seeking photo of Warren Smith at Plattsburgh Air Force Base
          Alice Lane Tracker

Hi Jennifer

Welcome to History Hub

I found the newspaper, but cannot find the article...I am hoping that another

researcher can.  Here is the link.

https://ldsgenealogy.com/cgi-bin/News-NY.cgi?5165_Champ_Planer._(Plattsburgh,_N.Y.)_1956-1992

also on https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn92061906/

Alice Lane

Volunteer Researcher

• Re: Seeking photo of Warren Smith at Plattsburgh Air Force Base
            Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Ms. Stone,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Photographs of various U.S. Air Force activities are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Picture (RDSS). Please note that not all photographs taken by or of military personnel were retained, however if this photograph was retained, RDSS may have a copy. Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSS. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Under Air Force record schedules, base newspapers are scheduled as temporary and as such, are not accessioned into the National Archives. The Air Force records schedules do provide the option to donate newspapers to other institutions such as local libraries and universities for retention. We suggest that you contact the institutions listed on Chronicling America and WorldCat as having copies of the newspaper. We also located a listing in the catalog of the University of Wisconsin Libraries, although their catalog does not list any 1957 editions. If you have not done so already, please contact other libraries in your area, such as any college or university libraries, as well as historical societies and similar organizations.

We hope this information is helpful.