1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 23, 2020 3:17 PM by Holly Rivet

    Seeking my father's family allowances records while in the military


      Where can I find my father's WWII family allowances records?

        • Re: Seeking my father's family allowances records while in the military

          Dear Mr. Carter,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          The forms associated with Dependency Allowances may be located in the service member's Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).  The form may vary depending on the branch and time frame they submitted it.  Here is an example of one in the series Official Military Personnel Files, 1905 - 1998 in the Records of the U.S. Marine Corps (Record Group 127) that includes a Marine OMPF dated December 15, 1942. See the Official Military Personnel File of Joseph Roger O'Donnell.


          We suggest that you request a copy of his OMPF. OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin can also use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020. As of June 24, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process. The center is currently only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities. If this is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!



          Holly Rivet

          1 person found this helpful