2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2020 6:12 AM by Hayley Manning

    Seeking list of Vietnam deserters from Pennsylvania


      I'm looking for information about my father's military history. He died over 20 years ago now. I believe he was enlisted in the US Navy, but fled to Canada to avoid being deployed to Vietnam. I think he must have gone to Canada in 1970 once Trudeau made it legal for US draft dodgers and deserters to stay. I'm just trying to piece together his story, so any help is appreciated!

        • Re: Seeking list of Vietnam deserters from Pennsylvania
          Thomas Richardson Navigator

          Dear Ms. Manning,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men and officers of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1957 and prior to January 31, 1994 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020.  As of June 24th, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process.  The center is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          For information on draft evaders and deserters from the Vietnam War, we suggest you visit the Department of Justice’s website and submit a FOIA request on Vietnam War Clemency. The instructions for submitting FOIA requests are available at Pardon Attorney FOIA.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck in your family research!

          1 person found this helpful