1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 15, 2020 2:34 PM by Thomas Richardson Branched from an earlier discussion.

    Seeking military service records of Jack Burns


      I am beginning the process of finding my dad's military history.  Unfortunately he passed away in 1970.  According to my dad's record of separation, I have the following information -- Jack C Burns ( given name was John); place of separation was Leavenworth, KS; rank was Sergeant; service dates were 05/25/1944 - 05/05/1946; he received an EAMET ribbon; battles and campaigns states, " GO 33 WD 45 Rhineland"; born in Alliance, NE; and Army Serial Number was 37 744 102. Can you give me any advice concerning this search?

        • Re: Seeking military service records of Jack Burns
          Thomas Richardson Navigator

          Dear Mr. Burns,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          If you have not already requested it, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          We also searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Command Reports, 1949 - 1954 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917 - 1985 (Record Group 407) that includes the file unit LACO-1710 - 1710th Labor Supervision Company: Unit History, 03/06/1945 - 11/19/1946. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, the National Personnel Records Center is is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          The EAMET ribbon is for serving in the European–African–Middle Eastern Campaign. And GO 33 WD 45 Rhineland indicates that War Department General Order No. 33 issued in 1945 awards the Rhineland campaign ribbon to him and the other members of his unit.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!