8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2020 5:42 PM by Kris Kaiser

Seeking a US Army report

Kris Kaiser Newbie

I'm wondering if "NA II 407/427/24082" is an actual after-action report form 1944 filed by officers in Normandy in August 1944. Lt. Col. Harry Hillyard wrote about the circumstances of my grandfather's death in this report. The report is referenced in the book 'D-Day' by Anthony Beevor that was published in 2009. The author references a Sergeant Bishop on page 362 of his book and the notes on page 556 reference a report with the above text and number sequence. Is this US Army report available to the public? Thanks for any thoughts and help!

• Re: Seeking a US Army report
          Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Kris,

This is the actual report and is showing were it was referenced from. The Numbers mean that they are located at National Archives 2 in College Park, Maryland. The following numbers after NA mean RG 407 and the rest is the shelf and location number. If you seek this report I suggest contacting them. But they are not processing any request until either after pandemic or at least a phase 3-4 opening.

Hope this helps,

Elliot Schneider

2 people found this helpful
            Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Kris,

Do you have his name? I'm thinking that he was with the 83rd Division.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

1 person found this helpful
              Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Kris Kaiser,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 (NM3 427) in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1985 (Record Group 407) that include the Combat Interviews (CI). The report of  Lt. Col. Harry Hillyard may be  part of a combat interview and 24082 is probably the old box number. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2)  via email at archives2reference@nara.gov. NA II indicates College Park.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 people found this helpful