2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2020 10:36 AM by Lesa Mock

Seeking records of 27th & 390th Infantry Regiments

Lesa Mock Newbie

My father, Roy Erickson, joined the army in April of 1945. He did basic training at Fort Dix, NJ.  In October of 1945, he was sent to Fort Ord, California, where he sailed for Japan. He arrived in Japan with the 390th Infantry. In June of 1946 he was assigned to the 27th regiment of the 25th Division (tropic lightning) of General Eichelberger's Eighth Army. I have all this information from articles in his local hometown paper.  Is there somewhere else I can look to find anything about him while in the army? Ship manifests or records from where he was stationed in Japan? Thank you!

• Re: Seeking records of 27th & 390th Infantry Regiments
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Ms. Mock,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located the World War II Army Enlistment Records database that includes a file pertaining to Roy H Erickson. Please use the information in this file when requesting a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).

We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form which you do not know, you may leave it blank, however the more information you provide, the easier it will be for NPRC staff to locate the correct file. We also recommend attaching a letter or memo with any information you have about his units and the dates he was assigned to them in case it is necessary for NPRC to check alternative records to verify his service. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

Morning reports for Army units from November 1, 1912 to 1959 and are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For access to these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov

We searched National Archives Catalog and located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1985 (Record Group 407) that includes records for the 390th Infantry Regiment and the 27th Infantry Regiment. While these unit records generally do not provide information about each individual soldier, they may mention individual soldiers on records such as general orders for awards. They also may  provide insights into the activities of the unit as a whole. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Rosters for units serving in World War II from 1944 - 1946 were destroyed in accordance with Army disposition authorities. Also, according to our records, in 1951 the Department of the Army destroyed all manifests, logs of vessels, and troop movement files of United States Army transports for World War II and most of the passenger lists.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL and RDT2. Also, the National Personnel Records Center is is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

• Re: Seeking records of 27th & 390th Infantry Regiments
              Lesa Mock Newbie

Thank you so much for this detailed reply. I already have the OMPF; that's *all* I have.
              I'll request the morning reports. I think they'll be helpful since I really want to get a sense of what they were doing and when and where.

"Rosters for units serving in World War II from 1944 - 1946 were destroyed in accordance with t wow, this part---Army disposition authorities. Also, according to our records, in 1951 the Department of the Army destroyed all manifests, logs of vessels, and troop movement files of United States Army transports for World War II and most of the passenger lists."  ---Wow! What a terrible lack of foresight, deliberately destroying historical records. Makes one wonder what on earth the rationale was? Terrible loss, then the fire on top of it. So sad. On the scale of the 1890 census loss.

Thanks again,

Lesa Mock