2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2020 12:14 PM by Elliot Schneider

    Looking for service number and military dates of family member

    Karen Covington Newbie

      We are trying to get a flag for our deceased family member from the funeral home. They need a record of him being honorably discharged.  We are trying to get this information. We also need his service number.  We have no idea where this is.  Can anyone make this more simple.  We just want the flag! Thanks so much

        • Re: Looking for service number and military dates of family member
          Holly Rivet Tracker

          Dear Ms. Covington,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          The service number for a service member may be found on their separation document or other letters of correspondence they were provided.  If the member served during WWII, you may be able to locate his registration information (including the service number) on the National Archives Access to Archival Databases Electronic Army Serial Number Merged File, ca. 1938-1946 (Enlistment Records)If the member entered service in the 1970's, this number may be the same as their Social Security Number depending on their branch of service.  Please see National Personnel Records Center's (NPRC) webpage for specific dates.


          If the funeral home is requesting the document, provide the service or social security number to them.  If you are responsible for obtaining this document, you must complete a SF-180 and send it in to the appropriate location on page three.  Be sure to note that this request is for a burial.  If the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) has custody of their record, you may also fax your request to 314-801-0764.  You may also begin a request to NPRC online via eVetRecs but you will still have to print, sign, and mail/fax the signature page.  For more information regarding Emergency Requests, please visit https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/emergencies


          For more information regarding what information the funeral home must provide for them to be able to obtain a copy of the separation document, please visit https://www.archives.gov/personnel-records-center/funeral-home-director


          For more information regarding Burial Flag eligibility, please visit https://www.cem.va.gov/burial_benefits/burial_flags.asp



          We hope this information is helpful.



          Holly Rivet

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Looking for service number and military dates of family member
            Elliot Schneider Ranger



            Are you able to provide any information. Right now NPRC in St. Louis is only processing emergency request pertain to burials. I would contact them ASAP. As a back up I would try contacting the State Veterans Service office or County Veterans Service Office were your deceased individual is from. Most counties have veterans service office that can assist.



            National Personnel Records Center
            1 Archives Drive
            St. Louis, MO 63138

            Telephone: 314-801-0800
            Fax: 314-801-9195



            Hope this helps,


            Elliot Schneider

            1 person found this helpful